Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st time low / Slow BBQ Question

Options
Laker
Laker Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up 2 Boston Butts at Sam's totalling over 16 lbs. to do my first attempt at low & slow BBQ. There is a large layer of fat on the one side of both butts.

Do I remove this fat?

If not, do I cook with fat up or down side? I will be using a large egg with a platesetter and idirect.

Thanks.

Comments

• Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    Hi, Laker.

You're not getting many replies because you posted on biggreenegg.net rather than .com. For some reason, messages posted on the .com site show up both places, but those on the .net site only show up here. I think they're working on fixing that, but I thought I'd better make you aware.

As for your question: I get those butts from Sam's all the time. Just cut the fat off the one side before applying your rub. That way, you'll get more of that delicious bark attached directly to the meat. Eating bark off the fat just isn't appetizing.

I don't think it matters much which way you position a Boston butt. They're probably the most forgiving piece of meat you'll ever smoke. I cook mine to about 195F internal temp. Comes out great every time.

Enjoy!