Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

13th isn't bad when you only compete once a year

Options
Smoked Signals
Smoked Signals Posts: 505
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
right????[p]We took 13th in Madison over the weekend ... 55 teams. BBQuau and Bad Byron were there. Tanked in brisket and it cost me a top ten overall. maybe it was the smoking judge (BBQ forum reference)someone make me feel better about our finish.... last year we were 17th and the year before that we were 24th.[p]My daugther finished 1st in kids Q for her first contest ... cooked a chicken roll up with sun dried tomatoes, basil and motzerella cheese...she was the big money winner for the family ...500 savings bond. I think I might have hooked her on a bad habit... as a side note she is trying to be a vegitarian ...LOL she never tasted her entry.[p]ps ..i'm in Ft.Lauderdale for the next 2nights ... any place I should try to get to for dinner???[p]thanks
Doug[p]

Comments

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Ever been to Mai Kai, smoked signals? It is a trip in itself, but they have some great food. It's expensive and touristy but the meat is cooked to perfection over wood in Mongolian ovens. This would be a perfect time of year to go. Growing up we went there for special occasions. My pre-prom dinner was there. 15th & 40th birthdays, too. I hear it's all been redone after being wrecked by hurricanes.... At least go for a big, fancy cocktail!

[ul][li]http://www.maikai.com/[/ul]
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    smoked signals,
    Next thing you know your little girl will go after Molly Shark's Iron Chef Award. Not a bad role model...
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    smoked signals,
    So that was your daughter who won? Awesome![p]I'd say 13th place is very impressive, particularly for a person who only competes once a year. There were 54 teams competing, and many of them are some of the best around: Quau, Shigs in Pit, Ulcer Acres, Hoosier Hogs, Moonswiners, Pig Pak ... just to name a few! Heck, I wish I came in 13th. We were two spots behind you. At least my wife redeemed us with her second place dessert finish![p]I felt pretty good about our showing. 10th place in sauce was nice to get, since we did it from scratch. 12th in pork, so we almost were in the money on that one. But otherwise, my results were pretty average.[p]It was nice meeting you there. See you at Eggtoberfest![p]Mike
    Egg and the Family Stone