Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indirect burgers

okesmokie
okesmokie Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Indirect burgers
Still just a newbie. Some of you experts talk to me about doing burgers indirect. My last two direct attempts were disasters and I am ready to try indirect. What about temp and anything you can tell me to keep from another disaster would be appreciated
Thanks…okesmokie

Comments

• okesmokie,
    not sure what you mean by disasters. .. [p]first, hope you're starting with good burger (at least 85/15 or 80/20 meat to fat ratio ...[p]second, if you can, try ground brisket . .. really tasty[p]i mix my burger with a few tablespoons of worcesteshire sauce. ..then make 1/2 pound patties that i usually sprinkle with dizzy cowlick or ken stone's witchy red, or simply S &P .... [p]cook on either raised grid or indirect grid at 300 degrees. ..takes a good 15 minutes per side to hit 150 internal. .. burgers are one thing i like medium well to well done. .. . [p]ONLY FLIP ONCE. .. AND NEVER, EVER PRESS DOWN ON YOUR BURGER .. all you'll be doing is pressing the juice out of them .. . . [p]HTH

• mad max beyond eggdome, one direct recipe says up your temp to 600-700 -- cppl pme sode fpr 3 min then flip and shut down all your vents. cook 5 min and eat.

• okesmokie
    Chuck/Tx,thats the way i done it and they were almost charred affter three minutes.fire was over 700 pegged out thanks for the response

• okesmokie
    mad max beyond eggdome,thanks a lot for your response
    i thank i had them seasoned ok. the thing is i burnt um up. fire over 700. i thank i can detect that you have been doing this a long time and you could give me some advice on doing them indrect. are they as good increct? what about the tempt?
    thanks

• guys[p]i never do burgers at 600 degrees. ... even if i just want to grill them direct, i do it in the 400 degree range.. . .go maybe 5 minutes per side, flip once, go another 4 minutes or so ...add cheese and thats it .... [p]you can even go direct at 300 degrees. . . .get a good established fire going with the vents shut down fairly good.. . . then grill em for about 10 min per side. .. . (again, i'm talking about good thick 1/2 pound burgers .. .
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    okesmokie,
    I like to do mine direct @ 250º - 275º on a raised grid.
    1/2 pounders take about 45 min, flip half way through. Add a little wooster and S & P. No char, just the juciest burgers ever.
    Mike

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    okesmokie,[p]It always surprises me when people say that they have trouble cooking a good hamburger. I just don't get it. I can't imagine burgers cooked on the egg being a "disaster".[p]I am by no means an eggspert, I'm just a novice egger that is learning something new everyday.[p]I'm not kidding, I must have cooked burgers every way possible. Direct, indirect, raised grid, high temp, low temp and everything in between. Every single cook was wonderful, so much so that I can't pin down what method I like best.

I have all my friends, neighbors and relatives saying I cook the best burgers ever :)

If you made me pick one method, I guess it would be simply.....main grid direct at 400 flipping only once.[p]One thing I never do is use pre-formed burgers or worse yet frozen patties. I always by fresh ground beef and make my own.[p] [p]

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    okesmokie,
    Hambbuger direct or indirect is all about heat.
    When I do hamburgers direct, I get the dome at 250 to keep the flame from getting to high when I turn them due to grease getting on the flames. I like them to flame during the turn giving them some char to the outside. Doing them inderect I get the dome to 350. Inderect will not give you the char on the outside of the meat but will smoke them just as well. I use hickory. Just my way. I am sure there are many different ways to do hamburgers. [p]Chef Jerry

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Tiger Tony,
    You know you cook a good burger when your teenagers would rather eat yours than at McD... or BK, or JITB. Mine call their friends when I even mention burgers, and since they are cheap, whatever! My favorite way is 350, raised grid, flip once, with hickory or Jack Danials chips for smoke.

• okesmokie
    Jwirlwind,
    thanks now thats the kind of info i am looking for.

• okesmokie
    Tiger Tony,
    thanks for the response and info. you see i have never grilled, charcoaled, or cooked anything untial a cupal month ago after getting my egg .fixing to retire and thout this would be a good hobbie for me

• okesmokie
    ronbeaux, thanks for the info and response that the info i am looking for

• okesmokie
    FlaMike, thanks for the response. there is no doubt i have been getting my fire too hot 700plus i sure this 700 works for a lot of people. and i will be able to do it too when i get more experence.
  • okesmokie
    mad max beyond eggdome,thats good info and thanks for the response. the problelm my wife and myself dont like 1/2lb bugers. maybe more like 1/4lb but we may have to learn to like them bigger