Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fish Grids

Chuck
Chuck Posts: 812
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm in the market for something to grill salmon with on the egg. I see that grids are available and I have seen the baskets that work clam-shell style. How about some feedback from those of you who have experience with either of these. I kinda like the idea of being able to flip the meat with the clam-shell type.

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    05_03_0017_06_01_small.jpg
    <p />Chuck, the time that I have done salmon, I have used HD foil - never did turn - the picture is of Grelt's "Salmon with Dijon Bourbon Glaze" - great dinner![p]Next I'm going to give MickeyT's recipe a try. Good luck!

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Chuck,[p]No need to flip the salmon. I have used the HD foil and now use a flat fish grill. Both have worked well and I prefer the grill over the foil as it provides better support when removing the finished product.[p]Spin

• Rotor
    Rotor Posts: 53
    Chuck,[p]What cut are you cooking? At Xmas I did a whole salmon - head and tail removed. It was split in the middle and I put it belly up in a v-rack with some butter and herbs and cooked it at 325* until the temperature was 150 ish. Worked great. I haven't done a salmon fillet or a steak yet, but plan to use my fish shell. You've probably seen them, looks like a wire fish, open it up and plunk it on. Only thing is my current one has a big-a** handle that won't work on the egg. I need to cut it off or get one without the handle. Either way, I would recommend using the basket if you don't want to risk the fish breaking up. [p]I have done it without - right onto the grill being real careful with flipping the steaks, or just leaving the fillet skin down until it burns through just in time to pull the fish off.[p]One last thing - a friend did this one last year and I'm dying to try it out.[p]Get a thin piece of cedar 0.5"-1" and soak it in water for at least three hours. Place your fillet onto the cedar and place the cedar onto the grill - Unbelievable!

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Gfw, Got jerky cooking right now. Left out the brown sugar and added a Berry Hot BBQ sauce (that is the name of it Berry Hot) a little got done early and fell in my taste buds. Hot but good.[p]CWM
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    20001221041718.jpg
    <p />Car Wash Mike, next time you make jerky check out my spicy beef jerky recipe - I've done it 3 times so far - GOOD! [p]The Marinade:
    Soy Sauce: 1 cup
    Rice Wine: 1/2 cup
    Hoisin Sauce: 1/4 cup
    Szechwan Stir Fry Sauce: - 1/4 cup
    Honey: 1/8 cup
    Worchester: 1/4 cup
    Lemon Juice: 1/8 cup
    Red Pepper Flakes: 2 tbs
    Garlic Powder: 1 tbs
    Onion Powder: 1 tsp
    Black Pepper: 1 tsp
    Cayenne Pepper: 1 tsp
    Tabasco Sauce - 1 tsp [p]I kind of got carried away with about anything I could find and it is a little spicy, but the taste is great.