Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got It home tonight

Options
Uncle Dave
Uncle Dave Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After many days of waiting to get the ice off my porch my dealer brought my egg tonight. About an hour notice. I told my hungry family who wanted to go out no way . I just did so burgers thats all I had thawed. My kids couldn't get over how juicy and perfect they tasted. I am so pleased I cant wait to cook again. My son wants so chicken pieces for tomorrow night How long and what temp SOme one tell me ? Thanks Uncle dave

Comments

• char buddy
    Options
    Uncle Dave, congrats on your new toy. Tell me a little more about your hamburger cook. Did you flip them over? What temp did you use? Did you let them dwell? I'm just curious. Hamburgers were my first cook as well and I couldn't get the times and temps straight and it still came out better than anything on my weber.

• Uncle Dave
    Options
    char buddy,
    You wanted to know more about Hamburger cook. First I lit the egg and went back in about 8 min. temp was 200 and I was unhappy I thought these lit fast. I just spent 900.00 and it already doesnt work right. 3min. later I looked and its 750 Deg. Wow this is going to take some practice.Put hamburgers on at 700 for 1.30 then flip for 1.30 then flip them back and shut ,almost down the top and bottom it will go to 375 real quick. Hold this for 3 min. then put cheese and go one more min. Juicy inside Nice outside and no blood for my kids. Good luck Uncle Dave

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Uncle Dave,
    I usually split the chicken rub some McCormick's chicken seasoning on both sides of both halfs and put them on the Egg at 350 to 375 degrees. Starting with the skin side down! I flip them once about 25 minutes into the cook and take them off at about 50 to 60 minutes. I check 'em first with and instant read thermometer to make sure they are done. Once they reach 160 in the breast, the thighs are generally 180. You'll never have moister chicken! You can do the same thing with quartered chickens, but it only takes about 45 minutes. [p]Good luck, and good eating![p]Dr. Chicken (aka: Dave)

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Uncle Dave,
    Dr. Chickens advice is right on. After all, he is Dr. Chicken! Another option that works nicely is cooking them indirect at 400 for the same amount of time. My family likes this way because the results are less smoky, yet the chicken still browns nicely...and you don't really need to flip them. I cook this way with the skin up, as I believe it helps baste the meat as it cooks.[p]have a blast!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Uncle Dave,[p]Welcome to the family. Eleven minutes from cold to 750°F is not too shabby :-). Here are a few rules of thumb for temperature control:[p]1. Your Egg cools much slower than it heats up. Overshooting cooking temp and trying to cool it down without killing the fire is a challenge for new users.[p]2. Catch the rising temp (by restricting the both vents) to hold a temp about 50°F below intended cooking temp. Then crack a vent open a tad to raise to cooking temp.[p]3. On a vent adjustment, wait to see the final settling of the temp before adjusting again. Chasing your adjustments will never allow you to reach a stable cooking temp. You will soon learn the approximate settings needed for each cooking temp.[p]4. The higher the cooking temperature, the faster the temperature will tend to rise and fall when adjusting the vents.[p]Your kids will love homemade pizza.[p]Spin

• Rotor
    Rotor Posts: 53
    Options
    Spin,[p]Thanks for the temp lesson - being playing with mine for a month now and I just figured out a couple of things from your post. Namely, I've been letting it get WAY to hot and then tring to cool it down, I figured you needed the nuclear burn to "get things going". Next time I'll try to catch it on the way up.[p]Cheers,[p]Dave