Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hamburgers ... brisket vs. chuck

Smokey
Smokey Posts: 2,468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We had some friends over last night for some burgers and dogs. The wife bought ground chuck (instead of asking the butcher to grind some brisket).[p]Well, the bottom line (in my opinion) is that there is NO MATCH between the two. The ground chuck burgers tasted somewhat ordinary while brisket burgers have been fabulous.[p]If I have anything to say about it, we will no longer buy ground chuck and make “ordinary” burgers.[p]Smokey

Comments

• Smokey,
    i second your commotion. . ..first time i served brisket burgers (prepped the same was as ground chuck burgers), my family rolled their eyes and asked what i'd done differently cause they were so good. . ..

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Did you see the Good Eats episode where AB makes his own burgers by running chuck and sirloin (I think) through the food processor? Have you tried this with brisket?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,
    no, haven't tried that one. .. i don't grind my own. .i have the safeway do it for me. ..just ask, and they are usually happy to oblige). . ..i started buying the brisket burger after tyler hamilton swore up and down on the today show one morning that it was the way to go ....i agree with him. ...[p]as far as AB, as i've said before, i won't trust anyone that cooks food in old gym lockers that might have held my daughter's sneakers!!! . . .but then again, i'll never borrow a cell phone from a guy whose wife has dumped 2 of them in port-a-potties :-)

• Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    The Naked Whiz,
    I've tried this with chuck and sirloin, though not together. I found that the meat was a little stringy, probably because my food processor blade has suffered such abuse. The burgers were a little dense too. But you could floss with your own meal.
    Paul

• okesmokie
    okesmokie Posts: 150
    mad max beyond eggdome, are they the trimed or packer briskets and if so do you trim any of the fat?

• okesmokie,
    i just pull the trimmed flats from the meat case (these are usually only partial flats in the 2.5 - 3 pound range). .hand the package back to the butcher and ask him to 'double grind' it for me. .. .come back 10 minutes later and he has it. .. .same price tag from the original package. ...they are pretty lean (probably in the 90/10 range. ...but you can ask them to add some fat, or i simply add some liquid (usually worcesteshire sauce). ..they come out very juicy and the flavor is great. ....HTH

• 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    mad max beyond eggdome, Do you treat them just like burger then or how do you cook the brisket burgers?

• 61 CHEV,
    treat em the same as any other burger. . .in my case, mix it with a couple of tablespoons of the worchestshire sauce, make 1/2 pound patties, then a good shake of either ken stone's witchy red, or dizyy cow lick or the new raising the steaks. . ..i like to grill em slow. . .raised grid at around 300 degrees. ..takes about 15 minutes per side (yes, burgers are the one thing i want cooked through to about 160 internal). ...and i don't put anything on mine any more. ..no cheese, no condiments, no bun. ...just great tasting 'naked burgers'. .. .

• Lucky Duck
    Lucky Duck Posts: 80
    Smokey,
    Everyday I learn something new! My Butcher always carries the whole brisket. Would you grind the whole thing? or maybe have him estimate a 15% fat? 20% Any part of the brisket that shouldn't be used?[p]Thanks for the Q![p]Phil, D'Duck

• Smokey,[p]I had a different experience side by side and grind at home. I liked the Chuck and my guest preferred the Brisket (flat).
    Will repeat next time I eat burgers. I noticed the Brisket burger was a tad bit dryer. I guess I like fat in my burger.