Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wireless Guru

Options
GregW
GregW Posts: 2,677
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,
Just wanted to say thanks for Meinbmw taking the time to speak with me concerning his experiences using the Wireless Guru. Based on his favorable review I went ahead and placed my order for a Wireless Guru which I received on 7/21/06.

I have owned my Large BGE for around 5 years and another brand of ceramic cooker before that. With that being said I'm capable of building a fire that will remain burning thru the night.

I was ready to cook when it arrived, my first attempt was a 8 lb bone in Boston Butt. It went on the large BGE around 10:00 PM and came off the next day around 2:00 PM. I used 215 Deg as my grid setpoint and 200 Deg as my meat setpoint. I resisted the temptation to open the Egg until the Guru indicated the meat had reached setpoint, this required great restraint as I was cooking for guest.

The Guru did it's job just as Meinbmw had indicated it would, the Butt came out excellent with nice bark. I would also like to give thanks to Ask The Butcher for the Rib Rub recipe that I found on his Website, It worked great and enhanced the tasty bark formation.

I would like to also give thanks to Naked Whiz for the email on his thoughts about the various models of the Guru. In the end I concluded that I would enjoy the luxury features that the Wireless unit offered, and having used it I'm pleased with my choice. The remote alarm capability gives me peace of mind allowing me to get some sleep knowing my Egg is on auto pilot.

In closing I would like to say to anyone considering the purchase of a Guru to go ahead and get one, the Wirless model is really nice. I also think the Competitor would be an excellent choice if you don't need any of the remote monitoring features.

Regards
Greg Williams