Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chili in dutch oven

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ive read several people complain that cooking chili in a dutch oven, in the egg of course, is not a good thing. Mainly because the acid from the tomatoes creates a bad taste. is this true?[p]ive been looking for a dutch oven mainly to cook chili but this has put a kink into my thinking.[p]p.s. lodge or sportsmansguide?
seasoned or not?

Comments

• MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    luis,[p]I don't think it is the flavor that is the problem it is the acid in the tomatoes eating away your hard earned seasoning of the pan....
  • Master Mason,
    hmm wells hould i just go ahead and forget about that idea? should i just use a regular steel pot to cook chili in?

• luis,
    Ping Chubby or Egret, they have some fantastic chili in a dutch. Am out of town or would post their recipes.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    luis,[p]I think many people will agree that high acid foods like tomato based stews or chili and of course beans should not be cooked in a freshly seasoned dutch oven. But once it is seasoned, no problem. That's about all I use mine for these days.[p]There are also aluminum dutch ovens which are easier to care for and much lighter. Their downside is a quicker reaction to heat changes over a cast iron oven. If you will be using one in an Egg more than in a fire pit, that shouldn't be a problem. [p]Here is a link to Byron's page with loads of info, recipes and tips. Just look how many use tomato products.[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Byron's Page[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    luis,
    A well seasoned iron pot will cook chili just fine. The metalic taste plays in if the chili sits in the pot for a long time or if the seasoning has worn off and was thin to begin with. When the chili or whatever you're cooking is done get it out of the iron pot into another container as soon as possible so you can clean the pot with warm water and a brush. Periodic re-seasoning will keep your cast iron in tip top shape. I'm a big fan of traditional cooking and cast iron can't be beat for slow cooked foods. I also like enameled cast iron, that solves the re-seasoning task and is totally non-reactive with acidic foods like lemon-tomato glaze that I make. Check out Lodge Logic cookware and Le Creuset cookware.
    Good luck!
    Clay[p]

• ClayQ,
    hmm so should i get an enamel cast iron dutch oven so i wont have to go through the whole re-seasoning maintenance as well as solving the acidic problem?[p]i am just trying to understand.

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    luis,
    Sure. Le Creuset and just recently Lodge has come out with enameled cast iron. Expect to pay a few bucks but look at it this way....it's a lifetime product, just like the egg.
    Have fun cooking!
    Clay

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    P10100292.jpg
    <p />luis,[p]I do chilis,stews and burgoos often in my Lodge Dutch Oven![p]The one above is a 5qt Lodge...on my Small.[p]The only thing is, I dont let it set in the pot for hours
    afterwards!! I transfer any remaining, to another container.[p]I've never had an "off taste" or seasoning issue ...
    following that plan.[p]Evans

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    luis,[p]We regularly do tomato based chilis, sauces, and stews in our cast iron dutch oven on the egg. Have never had the problem you're describing. No complaints here![p]Tonia
    :~)

• crkscrw
    crkscrw Posts: 59
    luis,[p]Ditto the comments about seasoning. 'course if you're making real Texas chili, there wouldn't be an issue--no tomatoes or tomato sauce :)
  • luis,
    not to beat a dead horse here but I've had no issues with egged chili in a dutch. We have a 7 qt lodge that's been seasoned. Go for it - you won't be disappointed.

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    luis,
    I'm going to be the lone nay sayer here. I have a cast iron dutch oven and a cast iron cooking pot. I do NOT use them to make chili despite both being well seasoned. It may just be me, but I taste a metallic twang when I cook heavily tomato based things like chili in them. I don't taste that when cooked in regular cooking pots. Mine aren't enameled so I can't comment on that. If you can live with that twange, go for it. I can't and so don't. We had this discussion a couple of month ago but I couldn't find the thread. Couple of others felt the same way I do.[p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    Kelly Keefe,
    ive had the same thing happen with tomato and bean type chilis, seen the seasoning actually flake off the side of the pot, so i know there was plenty of seasoning to the pot. i make my chili with dry beans and the cooking times are long which may have a factor in the tomatoes reacting with the pot. i have a lecruesett that i use mostly which works extremely well, and i believe that gearguide pot would as well at much less cost

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    fishlessman,
    If you're using dried beans then I can believe your cook times are LOOONG - grin! I use Bushs canned chili beans and my cook time is about 3 hours. I still get that twang...[p]I guess if you can live with it, use cast iron. But if I've got a choice, I go with steel or aluminum.[p]Kelly

• pots.lrg.gif
    <p />Because of the acidity in tomatoes it is best to use a non-reactive pot...stainless steel or enamelled cast iron (like la creuset). [p]I have won a few chili trophies in the last few years and never seen anyone on the CASI circuit here in AZ using a cast iron pot..they really can put a metallic twang in the chili. Save it for stews and roasting stuff. [p]The best pot I have seen was a soapstone one...Dave Bayer made a perfect gumbo at a Sacramento Kookoff in 2004!

[ul][li]Soapstone Dutch Ovens[/ul]
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    KennyGChili.jpg
    <p />luis,[p]Chili in a properly seasoned dutch oven cooked in an Egg ROCKS![p]Be sure to use a thermal barrier.[p]Cheers,[p]GrillMeister
    Austin, TX[p]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas