Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite Steak Toppings/Sauces . .

Options
MCG DAWG
MCG DAWG Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
. . I'm a big fan of just a little EVOO, salt, and fresh ground pepper on my steaks. However, sometimes I like to try something on top of them like you see in a lot of restaurants. What are y'all's favorite sauces/toppings. [p]May try one out on the filet I'm cooking on the egg tonight.[p]

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    MCG DAWG,[p]If you are cooking filets, try som blue cheese (either in a pocket, or just on top durring the dewll).[p]Smokey
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    MCG DAWG,
    a little blue cheese goes a long way on a steak. We fix a mushroom sauce with a product called Andrea's steak sauce. French fried onions go well on a steak. DP's Raising the steaks was the best steak rub i've ever used. Good luck, Tom

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    MCG DAWG,
    I rarely put anything on the cooked steak, except salt, unless it is a rare occasion when I cook inside and make a pan sauce with something like wine, shallots and butter.[p]I have read lots of recipes for "compound butter" (basically butter mixed with things to flavor it), that sound great, but I never take the time to make. [p]The point of all that is that you may want to search for compound butter and see what comes up.

• Carolina Caniac
    Options
    You can make a compound butter out of darn near anything. On steaks, my fave is a little gorgonzola cheese and parsley. Also try chipotle chiles and lime zest with a little cilantro- yum! Just soften the butter a bit on the counter, than mash together with you ingredients of choice. Roll into a log in parchment or plastic wrap, chill, and slice off bits of goodness to melt onto whatever your heart desires. The other week I made some using preserved lemons, garlic, and parsley (sort of an italian gremolata) and served on spatchcocked chicken, which was a hit.[p]Another favorite for steaks is chimichurri, a sort or pesto-like steak sauce from Argentina. The herb base is usually parsley, though I occasionally throw in a little cilantro, mint, or basil. Like barbeque sauces, there are probably as many recipes as cooks in Argentina.[p]A basic chimichurri:
    1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
    8 cloves garlic, minced
    3/4 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup sherry wine vinegar
    3 tablespoons lemon juice plus 1 T zest
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    f8c639c1.jpg
    <p />MCG DAWG,
    over the counter i like the peter lugers steak sauce, but mostly i like good steak plain with salt and pepper. sometimes i make a sauce with the drippings with butter onions parsely mushrooms etc, sometimes adding in some worcestershire sauce, ground mustard, thyme, sage, wine, etc. whatever i have in stock. either put it on the steak after cooking or during the roasting step of the trex method. i do this with cheaper cuts
    ab33b9e2.jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    MCG DAWG,
    I am one of the lucky few who have been able to purchase DP's new Raising The Steaks rub in the regular size container - not just a sample package. I previously only used kosher salt and pepper, but you gotta trust me on this - that new rub will knock your socks off. Yesterday I WOWED some company using it on hamburgers! One last thought about steaks - I always have some clarified butter to glisten my steaks with that look and taste too.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Carolina Caniac,
    That looks like a great recipe and I have it recorded![p]From my perspective, it is important to emphasize the word "chopped" for the parsley. You really do not want this to be like a pesto sauce.[p]The thing to remember is that Chimichuri is good on almost everything! Seriously -- try a bit on a nice crusty bread or spread on fish filets and grill skin side down. WONDERFUL stuff.[p]

• Eggecutioner
    Eggecutioner Posts: 628
    Options
    P5130022.jpg
    <p />MCG DAWG,[p]1. I like to saute onions, mushrooms, garlic, fresh dill and crushed red pepper flakes in butter.[p]2. I also like Blue cheese and panko bread crumbs mixed then roasted on top of the steak in the egg until just browned.[p]P5130024.jpg
  • Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    MCG DAWG,[p]Dizzy Pig's Cow Lick
    Can't wait to try Raising the Steaks

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    RRP,[p]You lucky dog!! I had a sample sized pak a few months ago - it is awesome in meatloaf!
    I can't wait to get my hands on a full size jar (well probably a few of 'em) of RTS and Shakin' the Tree.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    RRP,
    chris included some on a shipment to our place, and we loved it.[p]there was a tiny portion left over, which i saw one night as we were preparing steaks. i greedily kept it aside for myself, for a leter date, if i found myself some other time having steak alone.[p]as we're sitting there with the kids eating, i look up and see my wife sprinkling it onto her steak. i shot her a W/T/F? look, and she shrugged and smiled.[p]dammit. tried to be nice, and lookit what happint

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante