Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's everyone cooking this weekend?

Options
2»

Comments

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    alaskanC,[p]I have two eggs so I usually get one going to sear in and the other up to roasting temps (350 - 400 degrees) and set up for an indirect cook. I usually sear in cast iron. I am actually different in that I don't really do the trex method for steaks, so the way I would do this is to get my first egg up to around 500 - 600 and put a big cast iron pan in it. Let that heat up and then sear quickly on all four sides (maybe a minute per side). Then take the roast and put it into the egg set up for roasting. I think about 10 minutes per pound will be about right for rare to medium rare (don't add up the two roasts if you end up with a second), so if you have a 3-4 lb tenderloin, you're talking no more than 30-40 minutes total. Just watch them closely. [p]One good thing about using whole tenderloin, is that if you time the center for rare to medium rare, on the tail end, you'll have some pieces that are more well done for those who like them a bit less pink.[p]If you're doing the bernaise, that would be he harder part of the recipe, in my opinion. [p]Tonia
    :~)

• QBabe
    Options
    HolySmokes,[p]Sounds good...![p]Tonia

• QBabe
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Did you enjoy your dinner out, or like me, were you thinking you could have done better?[p]Tonia

• QBabe
    Options
    Herm,[p]How'd you prepare the swordfish? It always looks so pretty at the fish counter. [p]Tonia

• QBabe
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]That's alot of meat. Yeah, salad does sound like it would be good after all that![p]Tonia

• QBabe
    Options
    emjazz,[p]That's a lot of ribs! [p]Tonia

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    QBabe,[p]For me, pan searing gives me more control too. Especially on things like stuffed and tied roasts. I don't always do it on the Egg, sometimes using my single propane burner (like the ones for turkey fryers) or just the stovetop then move to the waiting Egg.[p]And actually QBabe, you ARE using the T-Rex method, just a little lower that the 700°. Although the grate option of T-Rex's method is discussed so often, pan searing is the origonal method T-Rex recommends in his master technique. In fact, as he claims, for a nice "char crust" using a pan is your best bet. [p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • QBabe
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]But, I don't do the 20 minute rest between the sear and the roast. Mine goes straight from sear to roast with no resting in between. I thought that was the big part of "trex"? I just don't find it made any difference at all, so don't do it.[p]Actually, we have a burner attachment on our old gasser that we often use for the cast iron sear part as well.[p]Tonia

• thirdeye
    Options
    QBabe,[p]Gotcha ... I didn't pay attention to the rest part. I guess it's because I don't do it either, at least not for 20 minutes. Okay, lets just say pan searing & roasting in the Egg works too...much better than saying that I use the "modified T-rex method, revision 3A". LOL[p]On roasts that are not stuffed and tied, I really like end searing.[p][p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• QBabe
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]I haven't tried end searing much. Gonna have to give that a whirl sometime...[p]I'm also different on how I do my prime rib roasts. Instead of following the crowd and roasting at standard temps (350'ish), I do mine at a low and slow 250 after the sear. It's a beautiful thing![p]Tonia

• thirdeye
    Options
    7c5d8921.jpg
    <p />QBabe,[p]Ditto on the prime rib. Here is one I did just last week at 225°. it took about 2-1/2 hours.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Willie
    Willie Posts: 132
    Options
    thirdeye, Wow,That looks just fantastic. What did you say your address was?? I will take your advice and try mine the way you describe. Have a great Sunday.
    Willie

• thirdeye
    Options
    Willie,[p]Thanks, here is a link to my prime rib page with details. I will have a busy Sunday, or at least a wet one. I'm smoking in the rain.[p]
    ~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Link[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Herm
    Herm Posts: 206
    Options
    swordfish.jpg
    <p />QBabe,[p]Here it is. I brushed with olive oil, covered in Dizzy Pig Jamaican Firewalk, and brushed at the end with some maple hot sauce stuff that I bought in Vermont. It was absolutely amazing. The best swordfish I've ever had, and I've had a lot.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    QBabe,
    It helps if the tomatos are home grown, and I added some fresh basil and oregano. -RP

[ul][li]Recipe[/ul]
  • wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Options
    QBabe,
    I have a Lucy on my large. Four holes showing. Got up this morning and she's still steady at 230°.

• Willie
    Willie Posts: 132
    Options
    thirdeye, Thank you so much, we have saved that page so we can refer to it often.Our new egg is going to get plenty of use now. Bon Appetit
    Willie.

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Hey Tonia, hope all is well with you guys.
    We just got back from our last wedding for quite a while!!!! We have been averaging 7 a year for the past 4!!!!!
    Got some short ribs on the egg now... I'm starving!!!!!!

Apollo Beach, FL
  • pal
    pal Posts: 19
    Options
    emjazz,[p]Lately I've gotten hooked on the Discovery Channel TV show "Dirty Jobs". Just got done watching the chimney sweep episode that was filmed at the Chimney Safety Institue of America in Plainfield.
  • QBabe
    Options
    AZRP,[p]I do an appetizer that is roasted plum tomatoes, halved, just like that, and roasted until they get caramelized, and then topped with an artichoke paste. This sounds wonderful too. Even with store bought plum tomatoes, roasting them like this brings out all of the missing flavor![p]Tonia

• QBabe
    Options
    Herm,[p]Looks great![p]Tonia

• eggnerd
    eggnerd Posts: 64
    Options
    QBabe,[p]Well the weekend is over... We ended up with:[p]Friday Night: Wine-Butt Whole Roasted Chicken.[p]Saturday: Bratt's[p]Sunday (Actually started at 10pm Saturday): Buston Butt for Pulled pork on Sunday.[p]...starting to get to that point where we are wanting to be looking for lighter (less meat) fare.[p]This coming weekend looks to include salmon and BabyBacks.[p]EggNerd[p]