Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy in the Kitchen

Options
BBQfan1
BBQfan1 Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
119-1989_IMG-1.jpg
<p />NB and I have been trying to get around to posting some recipes for the rubs that won't necessarily require a bbq or smoker to cook. After yesterday's Canada Day festivities at my cousin's house, came home to a near-empty cupboard. Decided I could scrounge up a nice meal from the freezer and maybe come up with something that fit the bill for the 'Dizzy in the Kitchen' file. Thought I'd share this recipe here and maybe see if others see it as a good candidate for the website; if it is, then maybe I'll make actual measures of ingredients next time, so it can be posted on the site! LOL[p]'IT CAME FROM THE SWAMP' PASTA
1. Smoke chicken quarters over smokewood of choice to 170 internal, unseasoned, strip off the skin and rip meat into chunks when cooled
2. Start pot of water to boil, salted, add pasta of choice (spaghetti, spagattini, linguine etc) and cook el dente
3. In large skillet, melt 3 or 4 tbspn butter
4. Add a couple tbspn fine chopped onion and stir
5. When butter bubbles and onion softens, add 1-2 tbspn flour, mixed with 1 tbspn Swamp Venom rub, stir and incorporate until a thickened white roux and rub is no longer 'gritty' in the skillet
6. Before mixture browns, add some white wine (used a nice German Rieseling) or chicken broth. Stir to incorporate.
7. Add a 1/4-1/3 cup half/half cream and continue to stir until you have a nice thick, rosy-colored cream sauce.
8. Drain cooked pasta
9. Pull the smoked chicken in thick chunks.
10. Grill or sautee 10-12 large shrimp in butter or olive oil, tails removed, pre-seasoned with 1-2 teaspoon Swamp Venom rub.
11. Add 1/4 lb of pasta, smoked chicken chunks and the shrimp to the sauce mixture. Add in fresh herbs if available (I put in some ripped lemon basil leaves), stir and heat to incorporate.
12. Put in pasta bowl and grate fresh parmesan on top. Snip fresh chives over finish product. Serve with fresh garlic toasts or bruscetta if desired.
I thought this turned out really well. I've done pasta w/ Swamp Venom in the past and have really enjoyed it. This is my first attempt at a real 'recipe' for combining that rub with pasta. Maybe some small button mushrooms added would be nice, or perhaps some sliced black olives, otherwise I thought this came out pretty well as-is. The family thought it was really nice so thought I'd share.
Qfan

Comments

• wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    Shrimp, pasta and chicken-my favorites. Just got some swamp venom and put some on the morning eggs. Killer breakfast.. [p]Doing 2 butts overnight tomorrow for the 4th. Injecting with apple juice and rubbing with some swamp. Makes my mouth water.

• penfresh
    penfresh Posts: 103
    Options
    BBQfan1,[p]lordy does that look good!!!!! thanks for the recipe...printed and on my to-do list. yum.