Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs Yesterday & Jerky Today

Options
Gfw
Gfw Posts: 1,598
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
20001221041732_small.jpg
<p />Yesterday I did ribs per "Bubba Tim" - low/slow - 200 degrees from 10:30am until about 5pm - they were rubbed with a combination of garlic salt and onion powder - at 5pm I increased the heat to add a little color - they turned out great - not at all dry - next time I'm going to do onion and garlic powder rather than the salt - no pics from yesterday, I lent my camera to a potential buyer - it's sold tomorrow.[p]Today it's Beef Jerky the spicy way - new recipe from last week and again this week with a few minor variations - the big change is that after looking at some of the other posts, I contrapted a 2 level grid which should work perfect for jerky - we'll know by the end of the day.[p]Life is GOOD! :~]

[ul][li]Jerky[/ul]

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Gfw,[p]Please share your details for this multi level arrangement. Did you end up going with a Weber grill or grate??[p]K~G

• Gfw
    Options
    KennyG, I used my old standby grids - I want to see if it really worked before I spent a whole lot - my out of pocket was for 3 - 6in bolts with a few nuts and washers - the bolts are attached to the middle grid with 4 inches below and 2 inches above - large washers on the bolts give the second grid a comfortable place to sit and large washers on the bottom of the bolts allow it to stand on the main grid.[p]I just turned the jerky for the first time - I think it will probably cook faster using this grid setup - if it works, then I'll invest in a more permanent setup and put together a parts and assembly list. Let me know if you have any other questions.[p]

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Gfw,[p]I have been eyeballing the new official BGE grill extender but couldn't justify the $35 + shipping when Weber parts are so inexpensive and easy to come by. One of these days, I'll see what I can fabricate.[p]Target stores carry stackable elevated cookie racks (10" X 14") with swing out legs that raise them 4" above the surface you set them on. 2 of them stacked will fit on my large Egg's main grid and still allow the dome to close. This more than doubles the capacity when cooking flat items like ribs, jerky, pieces parts, etc. They are only $6-7 for a set of three. Been using these with good results for several years.[p]K~G

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    extragratesmall.jpg
    <p />KennyG,
    All you need is a weber grid and 4 stainless steel carriage bolts.
    Larry

[ul][li]extra grate[/ul]
  • Gfw
    Options
    KennyG, I may have to check out Target - I'm not really looking for any extender as much as multiple levels and the "contraption" that I used today worked really well - just getting ready to pull the jerky off the grill :~]