Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Ham help

GJ
GJ Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would like to try and smoked a ham for Christmas and I have not attempted this before. Should I be purchasing a fresh ham or a pre-cooked one? [p]Any advise would be appreciated.[p]

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    GJ,[p]Someone with more help will chime in here soon. I have never done a ham, but I recall many saying that even the cooked ham says to reheat it. That would be a good time to add a little wood to add some smokey taste as you warm it up. Smoking a whole fresh ham would be a long process. Good luck with it.[p]Tim
  • hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    I would recommend getting a precooked western-style ham and then reheating and glazing it in the egg. Bone in or out is a question of convenience and cost. Smoking a fresh ham ends up with a product that is more like smoked pork chops than ham, even after a week of brining. It is quite good, but it doesn't make you think HAM when it hits your mouth. Buying a precured and uncooked ham is an option I intend to try next year. I haven't tried it, but I suspect it will work well.[p] Smoke and Spice by the Jamisons has a nice recipe for this.