Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nopales Salad with Jalapeno Dressing

Options
BobS
BobS Posts: 2,485
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The other day, someone was asking about recipes for nopales. I happened to run across the following recipe in the April 2006, issue of Saveur and decided to post it. I have not tried it, but I thought it looked good.[p]Nopales Salad with Jalapeno Dressing[p]From: Saveur, April 2006[p]SERVES 4[p]2 jalapenos, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
1/2 Cup sour cream
1/3 Cup cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
Pinch ground cumin
Salt
4 medium nopales (prickly pear cactus pads)
1 tomatillo, husked and cored
1 small red onion, peeled and diced
1/2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
1 ripe avocado[p]1. Puree jalapenos, sour cream, 1/4 Cup of the cilantro, lime juice, and cumin in a food processor until smooth. Transfer to a bowl, season to taste with salt, cover, and refrigerate for 3 hours.[p]2. Place each cactus pad on a work surface, hold base with a kitchen towel, and shave off thorny bumps on each side with a sharp knife. Blanch cactus and tomatillo in a large pot of boiling salted water over high heat. Remove tomatillo when tender, about 5 minutes, rinse in cold water, and transfer to a plate. Cook cactus until tender, about 5 minutes more, rinse in cold water, and transfer to plate. Cut cactus crosswise into 1/2"- wide strips and return to pot to let cook for 2-3 minutes more to remove excess slime. Drain cactus, rinse in cold water, and dry with paper towels. Transfer cactus to a bowl. Dice tomatillo and add to bowl. Add onions and peppers, season to taste with salt, cover, and refrigerate for 3 hours.[p]3. To serve, halve avocado, discard pit and skin, and thinly slice lengthwise. Toss together avocado, cactus mixture, dressing, and salt to taste in a serving bowl. Garnish with remaining cilantro.