Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven Use - - Replace Aluminum Foil ?

Options
Kyle
Kyle Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I think (hope) I am getting a new Dutch Oven for the large BGE.[p]The thought of that fascinates me. [p]I am wondering if relative to those cooks which might utilize aluminum foil, would the dutch oven replace the need for that?[p]Any thoughts on this and any suggestions as to the use of a dutch oven will be appreciated.[p]Thank you Kyle[p][p]

Comments

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Kyle,
    Never used it for ribs.But it makes a great pot roast.Cook it for about 1 1/2 hours at 275.Put in the dutch oven with 1 1/2 cups beef broth.taters,carrots,onion for 3 hours,meat will fall apart.Seems to me those little dimples on the lid do a wonderful job of basting as it cooks.As always if you are into dutch oven cooking the egg will make it better.

• Big Daddy - OCT
    Options
    darnoc,[p]Just to clarify, you cook the roast alone for an hour and a half first and then put it in the dutch oven with the rest of the ingredients for the remainder?
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Kyle,[p] A Dutch oven is not a substitute for foil. It is for all the things you'd normally bake in an oven or you can't easily cook directly on a grate.[p]Try this:[p] Heat up a Dutch oven (325-350) Place a ham steak in the oven and brown both sides slghtly. Set aside and brown another slice.[p] Put both slices back in the oven with a stick of butter, cup or so of brown sugar. Peel and quarter two or three medium size Sweet Potatoes (the orange ones). Cover the oven and bake until the potatoes are tender.[p] Serve the Ham and the Potatoes drizzled in the juice.[p]If you want I tell you about a breakfast that is great..[p]

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Big Daddy -OCT,[p] When I do mine I brown it on all sides IN the dutch oven then add all the ingredients. I let the Roast cook for a while without the potatoes and stuff. I add them after the roast has had a chance to cook for about an our or so.[p]Mushrooms, Kernal Corn, Green Beans are also good added in this.

• Darnoc
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    Brown it inthe Egg.Cant do the magic on a stove top.

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    darnoc,[p] Now did I say to cover the dutch oven while it was IN the egg and browning the beef.. NOPE :)[p] Magic happens many ways..
  • Darnoc
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    Brown the roast in the egg,then put it into the dutch oven to finish cooking.

• Unknown
    Options
    darnoc,[p]Thanks for sharing and clarifying. I must give this a try. I got the dutch oven out of the attic last night and will try to get it seasoned this evening.[p]Bruce

• Darnoc
    Options
    Big Daddy - OTC,
    A cooks illustraed issue found out by mistake that most pot roast methods of cooking can go for another hour of cooking.Hence the breakdown of the connective tissue to make it FORK TENDER.Good luck with your cook.