Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I get a mini?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a Large and a Small, both heavily used (like, nearly every day!) and my husband's asking me to accompany him to Oshkosh, WI, to attend the big airplane mecca sometime in July. This will involve camping, as it's a huge event; we have a camper back for our van. Let me say (sorry, campers) that in my opinion, if God had intended us to camp out, He wouldn't have invented air conditioning and indoor plumbing. That being said, I became more interested when Jim said we could get a mini BGE to take with us. Now, THAT's an incentive...[p]So here's my question. What're some of the best uses of the mini? Can it roast a pork tenderloin (curled)? Beer brats (how many)? Chicken thighs? I saw the pix of the cool raised grid, but that's not available to purchase yet, is it? So many questions. Thanks in advance for any ideas of how best to welcome a Mini into our Egg household.[p]Cheers,
Gretl

Comments

• EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    Gretl Collins,[p]Yes! It's not as versatile as a large but it is an egg.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Gretl Collins:[p]Not sure I am as qualified as others about the mini, but we have had ours since Sept. 2005. While haven't used it nearly as much as the two larges it can be a very useful cooker. Pork tenderlions would not be a problem, you could probably get two on there if cut in half. I have gotten four decent size burgers, four boneless/skinless chick breasts, six or seven brats, two reasonable sized ribeyes. All in all, if only cooking for two it should work fine. Hope this helps.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay[p]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    SSN686,
    I'd have to say you are plenty qualified about the mini. I had some mighty tasty things off your mini down in Florida.

• Grillicious
    Grillicious Posts: 347
    Options
    Gretl Collins, the cool raised grid? Can you point me to those pics, and who is working on making them? I new you can get those for the Small from Chubby (GrateMates), but I had no idea they might be available for a Mini! My wife just won a mini at the Texas Egg Fest, which becomes mine this weekend for Father's Day. I'm interested in any eggcessories that are available for it.

• BikesBoardsnBBQ
    Options
    Gretl Collins,
    We take our mini camping all the time. Not as good as, say, a small, but real easy to get in the truck behind the seat. I carry mini and all supplies except charcoal in a Rubber Maid container.

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Grillicious,
    Scroll down, Sandbagger posted a picture today. I think the subject is, "raised grid for the mini". I have grid envy. Oh, and I love Chubby's Grate Mates which I use ALL THE TIME on my Small.
    Cheers,
    G.