Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much Boston Butt to feed 100 people? Is this do-a-ble on an XL?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My brother loves the pulled pork I make on the XL(of course). His son is graduating and he wants to know if I can cook enough pork to feed 100 people in one cook. I have the XL but was wondering how much pork I would need and if this is even possible in the XL. Any advice please.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    NorthWoodsEgger,
    I think you would need about 7 butts at 8-9 lbs each. Don't know if that would fit in an xl. -RP

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    NorthWoodsEgger,
    Make your life easy, cook the pulled pork ahead of time and reheat the day of the party. PP reheats very nicely and most people won't know the difference. Good luck, Tom

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    NorthWoodsEgger,[p] Plan on a 1/4 ro 1/3 pound per person cooked. Using the formula your looking at a total cooked weight of 25 to 35 pounds. You can expect about 30-40% shrinkage. So you looking at probably 40-50 pounds of uncooked pork. AZRP recommeneded seven 8 to 9 pound butts. That is a good number.

You won't be able to cook them all at the same time. So cook them ahead of time. Pull them, sauce them and put the pork in zip lock or vacuum bags. The day of the party either boil the the vacuum bag to heat up the meat or nuke'em for a bit. Be careful trying to boil a zip lock bag.

• Unknown
    Options
    xls.gif
    <p />NorthWoodsEgger,[p]Check out the catering worksheet on the azbbqa site:

[ul][li]KCMIKE's Catering Worksheet[/ul]
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Hi Glenn,
    That is one cool spreadsheet. -RP

• The Pork Jesters
    Options
    NorthWoodsEgger,[p]100 people x 1/3 pounds per person for a sandwich = 33 pounds of cooked pork. If you have a 50% reduction you will need to start with at least 66 pounds raw or about 9 butts. [p]Odis