Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey: Deep Fried vs. Ceramic Cooked . . .

djm5x9
djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On several occasions I have tasted deep fried turkey. It was good. Compared to turkey properly cooked on a ceramic cooker, I personally think the ceramic cooker turns out a better bird. I want to expand my cooking horizons, but so far the return does not justify adding to my cooking arsenal. For you that have more than a passing experience with deep fried turkey AND ceramic cooked turkeys, am I missing something?

Comments

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    djm5x9,[p]I'll skip the turkey comparison for now. Just imagine smoking a prime rib on the Egg and preparing fried lobster tail in the deep fryer providing you and guests with one great meal.[p]I suspect you know the saying - "the one with the most toys ..." Add to your arsenal, you won't be disappointed.[p]
    Puj[p]
    BTW- JJ, a little encouragement from you may be helpful.

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    djm5x9,
    I do both types of cooking and I can say this :).... they're both great! :) I really enjoy a deep fried turkey that has a cajun rub with some cajun injected seasonings. The skin is crispy and the meat is juicey and it cooks very fast. Whats not to like with this? :)
    I also love the taste of a brined bird cooked on the Egg and so does everyone else that I have shared it with.
    So, there you have it.
    They are really two different kinds of birds in my opinion and both taste really good. The drawbacks to deep fried, (IMO) are that it takes a lot of oil, and the splattering of the hot oil can make a big mess on a wooden deck, with a stain that is about 24 inches in diameter. :) (next time, find a better place)
    Both methods make great eats, but each has its own advantages.
    hope this helps.
    ChefRD

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Puj,
    Today I tasted my first deep fried turkey. It was tasty and moist. IMO I believe that the bird done on the EGG still has the overall advantage. Even though the deep fried bird had fluids injected into it, the bird does not have the great smoke flavor that the EGG will give it. As for juicy and moist, the birds I have done in my EGGs are every bit as moist and tasty without having to inject additional fluids to insure a moist and tender bird. For the cost of the deep frier that is limited to only turkeys, one can purchase a mini EGG to compliment a Large EGG and do a spectrum of cooking. Would I purchase a deep fryer to cook a bird? Simple answer. No! [p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p]

• djm5x9,
    I bought a "turkey fryer" a year ago! I've been using them both, quite regularly. Last week it was 4 humongous turkeys and one giant ham done in the Eggs for our church Thanksgiving dinner. Friday it was 2 fourteen pound turkeys in the fryer for folks I work with. Next week, it will be 6 turkeys on the Egg and 2 in the fryer. IMHO, I prefer the smoked bird anytime! I've been doing smoked turkey for so long, it has become almost routine! There is definitely less hassle with the smoked birds than with fried birds. The clean-up is probably the same, but it sure seems easier with smoked birds. I don't have to worry about setting the house on fire with the Eggs, but it is a real possibility with a fryer. It happened in KC just recently, so it can be done. We both liked the taste of the fried bird! It was tender, moist and had a unique flavor, with all the injected marinade and spice rub. (Chef Williams Creole Butter marinade injected & Oklahoma Bob's Yardbird Rub and Spice World's Cajun Rub on the outside.) This is a good combination that we really enjoy! All our friends enjoy it too, even though we've tried other combinations. What can I say about the Egg Smoked bird???? We've almost grown complacent to the taste of it! But, when push comes to shove, it is the Egg Smoked bird that wins hands down! :-))) The brine does its work before time, and the Egg does its work in the cooking![p]Am I disappointed in the fryer? No! Would I buy it again, if I knew what I do now? Probably! (A man cain't never have too many toys! :-)))[p]There you've got it! Just my honest opinion though! sorry this was so long, but its early and I'm up, so I gave you the full shot![p]
    Have a good one! Dr. Chicken[p]p.s.: e-mail me and I'll give you a list of good points & bad points with the fryer!

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Dr. Chicken,[p]What more can be said? Good job :)[p]Puj
  • AndyR
    AndyR Posts: 130
    djm5x9,[p]$69.00 + tax. Need I say more? Well, I will. You can do a lot more than just turkey. Wings in mass qty., crab/shrimp boil, stews, chili, etc. The versatility of the thing has to have some value.[p]AndyR