Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Tri-tip?

Options
T-47
T-47 Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was just wondering from some of you Master Grillers...that is of course anyone with an opinion...A buddy of mine says he gets BBQ Beef sandwiches at a small BBQ place and the guy says he prefers to serve smoked tri-tip rather than brisket as his beef. My buddy says the sandwiches are great. I have heard that there is no "real" benefit to smoking a tri-tip because it is already pretty tender. Well anyway, I just rubbed a tri-tip down with some dizzy pig cowlick, and was thinking tomorrow night I might smoke it, then sear it. I guess my real question is, if I want it medium rare, how far do I take the smoke before I remove it and heat up the cooker for a sear. If I am going to sear for a couple minutes a side, does anyone have a ballpark of how much the temp might climb? I am open to suggestions of course, just thought I would try something different.