Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who knows about sliced pork?

Options
AndyR
AndyR Posts: 130
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm having some folks over next weekend for a celebration. I've got two 8 lb. butts in the large right now. Should be ready later today. Since I'm having non-q-connoisseurs over, I thought I'd pull AND slice. What temp should I yank the meat for slicing? Is there a particular part of the butt used for slicing? Thanks ya'll![p]AndyR

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    AndyR, If I were going to slice, I'd probably pull it off at the 160-170 degree range - I usually remove a pork tenderloin (today's dinner) at 160-165 degrees. Good luck!

• AndyR
    Options
    Gfw,
    Thanks. How do think I should section it for the slicer? I'm wondering if there is a particular procedure or if I should do what comes natural.[p]AndyR

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    AndyR, sorry, I don't know - I've never sliced a butt - However, I would have a tendancy to cut with the grain for sandwiches - just a guess. Post the results.

• AndyR
    Options
    Gfw,
    I took one of the butts off @ 185f, a little more cooked than I thought it would be. The slicing worked fine. I cut a large chunk away from the bone and ran it through the slicer. A wonderful surprise under the slicer after I moved it. Little bits of bark and fat cap in a pile like the last bit of chips in a potato chip bag. MMMMMMMMMMMMM! [p]I think it would be better to take off the butt around 165f to 170f.[p]AndyR