Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tin Foil

Options
Mop
Mop Posts: 496
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Goodmorning, I have noticed in LOTS of your posts containing pictures that you use a lot of foil....I don`t mean wrapping the food in foil but more for "pot coverage" and the likes.....[p]I expect your doing this to minimize "buildup" ....as well as eliminate clean up time????
All the pics I see here shows your eggs to seem so "Clean" . wow, for the amount you folks use them things it`s amazing you can keep them that way......Mine is blacker than a burnt boot!
My grates on my Non BGE cooker are dirty all the time......I am constantly cleaning them, and even then, yours look new by comparison.[p]My point is really not the cleanliness issue so much but more the way in which the foil may change the cooking procedure....
For example, those Gorgeous golden chickens in "Carl T`s" picture shows the usage of foil directly under them.......Now, is the foil there to eliminate clean up or is it there cause that is that part of the cooking process that will produce the best cook for you.....
I`m just curious......
BTW, I have seen some of the nicest looking food on this forum that I ever have.....I sometimes just pop in to "look at the pictures"
thanks...[p]Mop!

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Mop, for me it just makes the cleanup easier - when I'm done, I just thow the foil away - I used to use drip pans, now I make a drip pan out of HD foil. [p]BTW: I also use foil in the 3/1/1.5 rib method - 1 hour wrapped in foil, then back on the BGE. :~}

• Mop
    Options
    Gfw, Hey, how are you, great site you have built BTW,,,,[p]3/1/1.5 method??????????????????[p]

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    09_10_0017_10_02_small.jpg
    <p />Mop, my method for cooking baby back ribs to perfection - the entire cook is done at about 225-250 degrees indirect. Check out the link for details. [p]Thanks for the comments on the web site - always appreciated :~}[p]
    [ul][li]3/1/1.5[/ul]
  • Mop
    Options
    Gfw, I need a drip pan under my yap after looking at those pics.
    Thanks for the info sir, I will be sure to try your method, I do however have a different cooker than you so the results will vary but I`m sure they will be good.
    Mop

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Mop,[p]As far as the pictures showing clean, or nearly so, Eggs - I know many pictures I post are from my website (http://www.tm52.com/bge) and they have been added for 2+ years so many are old. When I first got my Egg, there were almost no pictures of anything here and so I took pictures of everything and posted them on my website. Like GFW, I refer back to them, so many will be when my Egg "was" new and clean - it's all black now inside.[p]As far as cleaning it - I do pizza or steaks on it alot and that high temp will clean it very well. Between that I just brush the grate with a wire brush. [p]Tim
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    corianshelf.jpg
    <p />Tim M,[p]This picture shows what a used egg looks like inside.
    Larry