Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken with new grate

Options
Carl T
Carl T Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
2_chicks.jpg
<p />This afternoon, I picked up a piece of 1/2 inch expanded metal at Home depot. Along with a couple of 1/4-20 brass rods and stainless steel nuts, I fabricated a new fire grate for Mr. Big. It was really easy. I can email or post a pic of the grate if anyone is interested.[p]These chickens were the first cook this evening on the new grate.[p]Carl T

Comments

• Charly
    Charly Posts: 23
    Options
    Carl T,
    I have had great results from the iron trivet I changed over to after seeing it on Tim M's website,but I'd like to see a pic of the one you made and how you did it.By the way,those two birds looked like they were fixing to become an eggcellent meal.

• Carl T
    Options
    Metal_grate_in_place.jpg
    <p />Charly,[p]I cut a 9" diameter circle out of 1/2 inch expanded metal. I used three 1/4-20 brass all thread rods to act as additional support and to keep the grate in place while you stir the charcoal. I used stainless steel nuts and washers for the feet.[p]Since I can only post one pic per forum post, this post is a pic of the grate in place. I will post another followup showing the grate more clearly.[p]Carl T
  • Carl T
    Options
    Metal_grate_inverted.jpg
    <p />Charly,[p]Here is another pic of the grate on the table (upside down).[p]Carl T