Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baked Beans - Inquiry

Options
Doug
Doug Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm about to try baked beans from start to finish in the Egg. Has anyone had any direct experience actually baking beans from scratch in Humpty using either a bean pot of pven dish,etc???? I'm wondering about temperature, length of baking time and direct or indirect method of cooking. I'm already soaking the beans and will be ready to starting the actual cooking process Saturday am. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    07_09_0013_25_02_small.jpg
    <p />Doug, check out the link for larger pictures and a recipe - it was originally sent to me by the 'walrus' - great beans - good luck! :~}[p]
    [ul][li]Baked Beans[/ul]
  • The Walrus
    Options
    Gfw,
    Thank you for the praise. I agree they are great. I must thank Dorothy Thomas it was her recipe, I just made it eggable. Wait, according to Deanna House, a Cookbook author friend of mine, the changes makes it my recipe. Winter is here in Michigan. Beans for Sunday, boy now that sounds good.
    the walrus

• Doug
    Doug Posts: 132
    Options
    the walrus, I see you use a castiron dutch oven for your beans. Can I just use a ceramic bean pot in place of the dutch oven?? Also, what does the Baking soda do to the soaking beans?? I've been doing my baked beans in a crock pot. Somewhat difficult to get them completely soft. So now its trying them in the EGG. Thanks for your help.

• The Walrus
    Options
    Doug,
    Yes you can use a ceramic bean pot. The soda is to help remove the flatulence cause by the beans. It was in the orginal ricipe so I left it in. I am not sure if it works. I soak the beans overnight and cook them for about one hour before they go into the Dutch Oven and into the Egg. You may want to cover your ceramic bean pot with HD foil to make it easier to clean.
    the walrus