Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maintaining fire

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Having some problems keeping a good hot fire in my large BGE.In the course of doing a three hour cook of anything,I've been having to add more charcoal.The book says one inch above the the fire box holes.Is it that I'm not using enough?Appreciate any info.Thanks

Comments

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    DirkR,
    What is "hot" ? Put in more lump. For Low and slows you can go up to the top of the fire ring. For "hot" fires you should use more lump than you are and use larger pieces.
    Fireball

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    DirkR,
    FIRST, forget the book. Look to this forum for correst info.
    Second load your EGG to the top of the fire box. I just dump in what I have, This will give you more than 20 hours of low and slo and about 6 hrs or more of high temps.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    lump2.jpg
    <p />DirkR,[p]You can not put in too much and what does not burn this cook will be there on the next so don't skimp. Always add some fresh lump each time too. [p]Here is a picture I added on my site to help show you what a minimum amout looks like. This is a minimum for any cook and you would add twice this for a long 20+ hr cook.[p]Tim
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Hey Tim,
    Is that a twinky, or a granola bar in the center of your lump pile??

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Nature Boy, I think it's one of those high energy granola bars. So high energy in fact that if you light it it will actually burn. I estimate that if eaten, it should provide 1000 calories which burns off in 63.7 seconds. The IOC says they plan to test for it at the next Olympics. :)

• Tim M
    Options
    Wise One,[p]Nature Boy should recognize a chunk of fireplace log since he uses that stuff. It's an old picture from when I did use that. Now it use the Webber fire cubes.[p]Tim
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Tim M,
    Yeah, I use that stuff....it works great, and is made of the same stuff those weber cubes are (paraffin wax and sawdust). I use about 1/8 of what you show in your picture though!
    Cheers, twinky boy.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Actually, the Webber cubes are some sort of wax but no sawdust as a binder. The advantage is that they burn cleaner and they start the fires better from under the grate, which is how I start mine if going over 300 deg. I agree, you don't need that much of the fireplace log to get the fire started. [p]Tim