Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Duck thanks. Internal temp??

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks yall for the suggestions on duck. The grilling recipe CW posted sounds great. The recipes YB posted a link to have many great seasoning ideas. Pigpickers link to that FoodTV recipe was also very tsaty sounding. And djm's idea of using an asian concoction of mine for the seasoning is a good idea.[p]So, with inspiration from all those ideas, I thought I would try this. I really want to cook the bird whole to see how it works (though the recipes that cut it up first also sound great). And I love the way a whole golden duck looks. So, Inject the bird with a mixture of orange juice, soy sauce, oyster sauce, garlic powder, butter. Then rub with a mixture of fresh garlic, thyme, sesame oil. Cook indirect in v-rack at 400. Sound good?[p]What should the breast temp be???? How long should a 6.3 pounder take??
Thanks again. Yall are the best.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Nature Boy, IMO all fowl to 170 breast. I use it for turkey, goose, duck and a few of these nasty blackbirds.[p]Note on the recipe..it didn't include this, but I would saute the garlic/onion in butter till onions are clear, then add the remainer of the ingredients, using medium heat to simmer the sauce.[p]Just for those that use the recipe, or vary it to your need's.
    Gone duck hunting! Look out Donald/Daisy/Daffy and yer nephew's Huey Lewey and Dewey, this is serious business...
    :-)
    C~W[p]
    C~W[p]

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Thanks! I injected the OJ, soy, oyster sauce, garlic powder, sesame oil combo a couple hours ago. Made a paste with fresh garlic, salt, turb sugar, hellmans citrus splash, sesame oil, pepper, thyme, rosemary. Rubbed under skin and all over outside.[p]Humpty is getting going now. To complicate things, I have to be out from 3:00 to 4:30, so I am gonnas start Huey a bit early at 250 or so, and kick her up to 375-400 when I get home. Yeeee Ha!!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Nature Boy, I would have to say that you have shotgunned that duck pretty good. [p]He look funny with all them band-aids on his naked body...Sounds good tho..![p]Whatever you do beats a flat rock and squid on a creek bed. :-) Good luck! [p]And I would take the aluminum foil treatment seriously in the final wrap for 10 to 20 minutes..maybe 10 in the cooker and 10 on the platter. Then carve. It should turn out a nice and tender duck. [p]Let us know how you do as I have commented on Daisy Duck to my wiffy several times. I get this bored, "uh huh" greeting. [p]She says maybe I'm even considering Mickey M.[p]I may eat alone.[p]C~W[p]

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    The duck was as tender and juicy as could be. I didn't use foil, and the cook took about 2.5 hours. The first hour at 200 when I was gone got the internal temp to 136, and the last 90 minutes at 375 finished her off with a nice golden skin. Probably would have been more of a brownish/gold if I was to do the whole cook at 375 (like I will next time!)[p]One thing I learned is that injecting really gets that flavor through out the meat! The final result was a bit too salty though. Next time I will reduce the soy.oyster sauce, or try another injecting marinade. OJ really gave it a nice twist. I think I will inject more stuff in the future...it really works well. [p]No bandaids on this guy (gal). I did all my injecting from inside the cavity. Works great! A couple of holes when I was pokin' round with the polder probe, but it ended up far from a pin cushion! Definitely beats squid on flat rocks...heee![p]Thanks....how's the huntin'??
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Nature Boy, Good report. Considering the moisture loss in the conventional cookers maybe foil isn't needed. I have to try it myself to find out. I wrapped chicken breast last night and they were super moist, but duck and goose is a greasier meat. Most should be well rendered if one does as you suggest, higher temps. I rarely cook any fowl under 350F degrees for the whold cook. Unless I want to add a higher level of smoke, then pre-smoke for a short period at a lower temp..for 20 to 30F. I personally have no fear and have experienced any (sali or e.coli) problem from low temp smoke and upping the temps to the 350F level. Especially with a salt/tenderizer brine prior to the cook. BTW..YB posted the Hi Mountain web page down below and they have a good looking turkey poultry brine mix. Might try it for grins and grunts here sometime. My own brine works pretty darn good. Combo from Cats original and Brant's mixes, and my own toss in concoctions.
    Car Wash Mike might have some ducks missing...wonder who is guilty...:-)
    Chowser..gotta go build a boat...
    C~W[p]