Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Boston Butt

Options
Big Pappa
Big Pappa Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It all stated out early in the morning at 5:00 am with a 7.5 lb Boston Butt. Everything I had read said it would take 1.25 hours - 2 hours per pound. I got a good clean fire and used my BBG Guru machine for the first time.

I had a few temperature spikes and I got up to 170 quicker than I thought fearing that I may have damaged the meat. Then came the plateau that I had read about, the meat hung at 170 for two hours or better.

After reaching 195 my wife and I took the butt to the table and just stared at it. I don't know why barbecuing gives me such satisfaction but it really does!

We pulled the pork after it had rested and the taste was grand. My wife is not from this country and she frankly thought this whole pulled pork thing was overblown, then she tasted it.

I noticed this morning she kept picking out meat from the refrigerator and nibbling on it while making breakfast. She even said it would be ok it we did another butt again this coming weekend when her brother visits.

To all those who love the BGE as much as I do I raise my glass.

Cheers

Big Pappa ef348ae1.jpg