Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steaks - Dome open or closed?

Options
Kyle
Kyle Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do most leave the dome open when doing steaks or closed?[p]It seems that most of the pictures I see of steaks cooking are with the dome open.[p]I have always closed the lid, but wonder if I might get more crusty surface by leaving the dome open.[p]Any thoughts will be appreciated.[p]Kyle

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Kyle,
    The reason most of the pics you see of steaks cooking are with the dome open is it is a little difficult to take a pic of a steak cooking with the dome closed.[p]I always close the dome for steaks.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Kyle,
    well, the pictures always show the dome open cause its awful darn hard to get the camera inside the egg for a pic with it closed! doh!! . . .heeeee[p]when t-rexing, there are actually 2 schools of thought on the searing process. . ..since t-rex's original dialogue didn't say, and since most cooking on the egg is done dome-closed, many assumed (including me) that you seared with the dome closed. .. .that's how i've always done it. ..later on though, t-rex clarrified that he, in fact, sears with the dome open. . ..so you can go either way. ... .[p]certainly, the dwelling takes place dome-closed. ..[p]HTH . .

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Kyle,
    You will get a maintain higher temps with the dome closed because the heat build up. I think this is seen because the open dome with the flames around the steaks makes for a snazzier picture than one of the closed dome with the thermometer pegged.[p]To drop temps I often close the bottom and top vents for a minute. Then open them briefly and burp the Egg to prevent flashback and raise the lid to "dump heat". Close the lid and vents and repeat the process a time or two, this drops the heat faster than waiting on it to drop naturally.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Kyle,
    with my cast iron grate, i can sear faster and keep the dome open when searing steaks. the heat transfer from the cast iron is fast. when searing on the regular grill, its a little slower, the fire sometimes increases do to the fats dripping. shutting the dome will reduce the fire from engulfing the steak and give you a good sear.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Not to mention the open dome high heat mode is very bad for the gaskets. That being said those on my large are original and very crispy. I bought a new set in Atlanta in October.....maybe I'll put them on before the 07 Eggtoberfest LOL.....