Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Top of egg will no longer seal properly

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Help! For some unknown reason, the top of my BGE will no longer sit evenly on the bottom and there is a small gap that between the top and bottom in the backside of the top. I can no longer hold a low temperature effectively, as the temp always gets higher than desired.[p]I think the hinge has somehow gotten out of kilter. Has any other owners experienced this problem, and if so, how did you cure it?[p]Thanks.[p]Richard

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Richard,[p]With the dome closed, loosen the four bolts that tighten the metal hinge to the Egg. Now press down on the dome to reseat it on the base, then equally retighten the bolts.[p]Be aware that the bolts may break when trying to loosen them. Having spares on hand can help.[p]Spin

• Spin,[p]I have tried loosening and re-tightening. Whenever I retighten the bottom bolt, it pulls the lid up in the rear re-creating the issue.
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Richard,
    I usually have to reseat my lid every couple of months. I almost never loosen the bottom band, just the top.
    Also, check the condition of your gasket. It may be time for a replacement.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• When I first got my egg, I was having a similar problem. The curvature of the top band was too extreme, and when I would tighten the bolts, the dome lid would be pushed forward.[p]Try looking at the back of the top band and see if it is flush all the way around the back of the top dome. If there is some separation between band and dome, this may by the problem.[p]I bought my Egg at Barbeques Galore, and they gave me another autolock band when I told them the one I got was bent.[p]I'm not sure if this is your problem though, because the lid was closing correctly first, then got out of wack. Mine came bad from the factory.[p]Good Luck,
    -Vegas Heat