Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Turkey - need help

Options
GJ
GJ Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would like to cook a whole turkey and I was wondering if any of you could provide me with recipe suggestions. Thank you

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    GJ,
    Howdy! I'm hooked on Brant's brine (see link below). It is a chicken recipe, but works great on turkey. First I brine for 24 hours or so in the brine, then rub under the skin with a mixture of roasted garlic, olive oil, and pepper. A little pecan wood for smoke, and cook until thickest part of the breast breast meat is 165 internal. Yum Yum.[p]Lots of good solutions...this is just one. JSlots "It came from the brine" is excellent, but I believe it exists in the 1998 archives which are history.
    NB

[ul][li]Brant's Brine Rules[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • TOROLNSTND
    Options
    GJ, Here's a simple but delicious turkey. Stand your bird in a verticle turkey roaster. Slide about a half dozen pats of butter under the skin in various locations. Mix up about a cup and a half of your favorite dry poultry rub (I use Old Bay seasoning and Season-All with sea salt, pepper, paprika and plenty of garlic powder). Open 1 can of your favorite beer and drink one half of it. With a puncture type can opener poke 2 extra holes in the top of your beer can. Pour about a quarter cup of the dry rub into the beer can and rub the rest generously into the bird. Set your Egg at 275, set your beer can in the middle of a round drip pan centered in the Egg and carefully set the bird over the can. Insert your Polder, close the lid and let her cook.
    I've used this recipe for three years running at Thanksgiving; Year 1 for 8 people, year 2 for 12, and last year, a 27 pound turkey for 16 people. In 3 years the only leftover tukey I've had has been boiling the carcass for soup.

• TOROLNSTND,[p]How long per pound? Thanksgiving is coming up and I need a sure fire winner. We usually have 20-25 peolple and a 20-25 lb. bird.[p]Big Cat

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    Big Cat,
    About 20 minutes per pound @ 350 degrees. Smoked it with pecan.
    Fireball