Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sweet Potatoes????

JM3
JM3 Posts: 272
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My mom bought some sweet potatoes yesterday. I know I can cook them indirect on the grill but I was thinking of slicing and grilling direct with oil and rub on them ala Golden Brown Dizzy Pig Potato Slices.[p]Any advice?[p]John

Comments

• JM3,
    I have been making them alot the last few weeks as sweet potatoes are allowed on the South Beach diet. I quarter them and then drizzle EVOO some Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. I cook them on my small direct on a raised grid at 325 for about 1 hour. Turn and rotate them every 10 min. or so. The family loves them!!

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • JM3,
    I read this somewhere so I thought I would try it and we just love sweet potatoes this way.............[p]I just throw them on the edges of the coals while cooking a steak or something else on the grid. I'll then turn them a few times until charred completely on the outside. And on the inside they are nice & done with so much flavor locked in! My wife is always wanting me to fix them this way now.[p]The only pain is lifting of the grill and moving them around with the meat still on the grill.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    WVU_Egg,
    there's a grid out there that hinges up (half of it)...
    haven't come across one when i walk the aisles, but i'm sure they are online.[p]i believe they are weber grids, designed to allow adding briquettes to an already going fire. that might work for you.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike,
    One that I have for my BGE Large is an extender grid that partially folds up. Got it from my local BGE dealer. Believe the "k" has one also.

• JM3,[p]
    Here's what I would do:
    4 large sweet potatoes, par-cooked and cut into 1/2-inch slices
    8 scallions
    3/4 cup olive oil, divided
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    2 teaspoons honey
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    1/4 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley[p]Preheat grill to high. Brush potatoes and scallions with oil and arrange on grill. Grill potatoes for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until just tender. Grill scallions until softened and marked. Remove scallions from the grill and cut into thin slices.
    In a large bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup olive oil, the mustard, vinegars, and honey. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add potatoes, scallions, and parsley and toss until potatoes are well coated. Transfer to a platter and serve. [p]Bullet