Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Squid!

Options
chuckls
chuckls Posts: 399
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up a calimari steak today at Whole Foods. Marinaded it four about 6 hours in a mixture of seasoned rice vinegar, soy sauce, olive oil, mirin, lemon juice and just a bit of garlic powder:[p]marinated.jpg[p]Got my egg really hot:[p]hot.jpg[p]Threw the steak on, for about 90 seconds per side. I used my cast iron grid for nice grill marks:[p]grillin.jpg[p]Then I mixed up a "fountain of youth" drink in my Juiceman II. Ingredients: 3 carrots, 1 beet (with greens) 1/4" slice of fresh ginger, two big handfuls of parsley, and 1 apple. My Juiceman's been sitting in the cupboard for 5 years, this is the first time I've gotten it out since we moved. It's great, I'm going to be using it a lot now:[p]juiceman.jpg[p]The calimari was excellent! Not tough or chewy at all, really good flavor, and the marinade was just right![p]plated.jpg[p]Salmon steak tomorrow![p]Chuck

Comments

• chuckls,
    That looks absolutely eggcellent![p]bc

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    chuckls,[p]I've never heard of a squid "steak" -- is that just the whole body without the hood and sliced to flatten it? I'd think that'd cook in about fifteen seconds on a grill!
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Haggis,
    That's what it is alright. I used to get the giant tubes from the freezer section of an Oriental market, then slice down the side to make "steaks".[p]You can also cut it in strips or cubes, for pizza, stir-fry, etc.[p]Ken

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]Thanks for the clarification. [p]We've never tried the whole thing as a single piece. We usually get fresh (iced) young squid, clean it (very messy and smelly,) and slice it into short strips. Then we lightly score the inside flesh, toss into boiling water for 30 seconds to cook it, and cool it immediately since it overcooks so quickly. The strips all curl up tightly and when we stir fry it later it holds the sauces nicely. My wife likes the tentacles the best though - something I've never found appealing.