Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fatties

Options
clausenk
clausenk Posts: 93
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I kind of get the idea that fatties are some sort of skinless sausage or ground pork roll cooked indirect (?), but could someone post more info please? Could not find much even with an archive search.[p]Thanks,[p]Clausen

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Sausage1.jpg
    <p />clausenk,
    Fatties are wonderful things that have so many variables available. Basically, you can use store-bought sausage such as Johnsonville Sausage, or you can make your own from Boston butts. You mix in your favorite seasonings with the homemade variety and roll these, including the store-bought, in your favorite rub. Cook them indirect with your favorite wood at 250 degrees dome temp. until internal temp. is 165-170 degrees. Give 'em a try!

• egret
    Options
    Forgot to mention, these are made without any casing. If you buy the store-bought with casing, remove it and form these into approximately one pound loaves. Wrap them in plastic wrap, tie one end and wrap the other end tight..

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    clausenk,[p]Follow the link. Visit the sausage section for the details.[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Link[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Gene
    Gene Posts: 99
    Options
    egret,
    John....those look good!! Are you cooking some Saturday??

• locolongball
    Options
    clausenk,[p]OK, OK. Eventhough I want to, I won't! Where is Stump when you need him. ;-)
  • egret
    Options
    Hi gene,
    These are good! I won't be doing these Saturday, but I'll be doing them in the near future. Saturday, by the way, is looking a little "iffy" weatherwise. I'll get a weather report again tomorrow and make a call at that time. I hate it when this happens! I'll let you know one way or the other........

• egret,
    Did one today. Combined country sausage and spicey Italian sausage,
    flattened it out and put a couple of roasted, peeled and seeded
    Pablano chiles along with some shredded potatos and rolled it all up.
    Put it on the grill with a chunck of Maple and it turned out great. My
    wife, who is not a fan of sausage, really liked it. This was a trial run,
    thinking about a brunch item - a slice of Fattie on a bisquet.

• Gene
    Gene Posts: 99
    Options
    egret,
    John...yes, I heard we may have some nasty weather in our neck of the woods Friday and possibly Saturday......

• thirdeye,[p]Curious..........why do you wrap them in foil for an hour after cooking? [p]Howard

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Howard,[p]For the same reason you rest a roast or steak, so the juices can re-distribute evenly. The store-bought ones are made with a finer grind (I guess because they are made to be sliced raw without crumbling) and are much, much denser than my home-made ones.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery