Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Check

Options
Peddler
Peddler Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just want to make sure things aren't happening too fast. Put a 4 lb. flat brisket on this morning at about 250-275. After an hour and half the Polder was reading about 150. Cranked the dome temp back to 230-250 and at the 2 hr. mark was reading 159. Am I slow enough?

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Peddler,[p]All sounds good to me. Going through the 150-170 range seems to take longer. Two flats cooking here (9.85 lb total).[p]Spin

• Peddler
    Options
    Spin,[p]Thanks. I know I had seen postings that things stall out at 165 or so but I was a little nervous. Have fun cooking on a beautful Sunday (at least up here in New England).[p]Peddler

• Spin
    Options
    Peddler,[p]I just removed the smaller flat and placed in foil. It was 188F internal after 15 hours. The larger one (only 1/2 lb heavier) is still cooking with an internal of 149F.[p]It ia amazing how these things can act differently, even when cooked together.[p]Spin

• Peddler
    Options
    Spin,[p]I haven't tried two-in-one yet. I don't think I would have guessed there would be that great of a difference.[p]My piece was just shy of 4 lbs. It took almost 8 hrs to get to 190. The flat didn't have much of a cap so it came out a bit dry. My wife picked it up at a Bread & Circus which sells more gourmet cuts with more fat trimmed off, and in this case it worked against me. I took it off at 190 and let it set while I made a 1/2 batch of JJ's Q Sauce. The sauce made the day--it softened up the meat instantly and the subtle flavors was perfect for the meat.[p]Peddler

• Spin
    Options
    Peddler,[p]I tend to cook brisket in the 200-225F range and thus have a longer cook. The smaller flat was done in 15 hours with the larger done at 21 hours. The actual difference in weight was .23 lbs. The smaller one actually produced more finished meat.[p]A complete covering of slab bacon replaces a fat cap nicely and also provides some good bacon for future BLTs (6-8 hours at 225F will not cook slab bacon to eatible - just adds a very nice charcoal flavor).[p]Brisket doneness is much better judged by feel than by temperature. Stick a fork in it. It is done when the fork slides easily into the meat (happens first) and then slides freely out of the meat. The difference between 180F and 185F internal is easily evident using this method. I remove briskets in the 183-189F range using this method and they are very tender and not dry.[p]Spin
  • Peddler
    Options
    Spin,[p]Got caught up with work so I didn't get back here until just now. Thanks for the finer points. I told my wife I meant to put bacon on top but forgot. Sounds like I should have started the fork test at about 180--I waited until 190. Had a great sandwich with the leftovers today. Hoping my wife picks up a nice salmon filet today so I can cook it on my partially burned alder plank.[p]Peddler