Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Inauguration

Options
Gatortail
Gatortail Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, we did it...My wife and I used our Big Blue Egg for the first time last night in a rainfall that was heavier than when the Hurricane was here last weekend. I have to say I am absolutely amazed at the precise temperatures you're able to get by moving a couple of vents around. We put on a Meatloaf at 300 for 1 hour and it turned out unbelievable. The temperature never fluctuated, even though it was outside in the downpour. I can't wait to use it again...I've read that you should vary the things you cook when you first get your egg so you can "season" it...i.e. beef, chicken, pork, fish...Do you folks find this necessary? Also, when you sear steaks, you sear them with the top down, correct. Any info would be appreciated...Green regards, Gatortail

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    gatortail,[p]I envy you, wish I had one of them <FONT SIZE="4"><FONT COLOR="BLUE">Big Blue </FONT><FONT COLOR="#007F00">Green</FONT><FONT COLOR="BLUE"> Eggs</FONT></FONT> - BBGE. [p]Welcome to the house of Bge and BBge.[p]Tim
  • Tim M, heck if the truth were known I'd bet there are several male posters here who are color blind and there is a rainbow of BGE out there, but in this case it can be said "vanity, thy name is man!" Don'tyaknow cauz my egg is green...says so right there on the lid! ^oo^~

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    gatortail,
    congratulations. Last night, I also did my first egg-perience in a downpour. I was in Fishkill, NY. I travel up this way most every week so I talked a co-worker into buying an egg with the proviso that I would buy food and cook on it while up here (this way I eat cheaper than in a restaurant and she eats for free). Well last night we did the bacon wrapped scallops and then some lamp chops with rosemary. They were superb. I think you will really enjoy your blue thing there. Just don't break any of the ceramic parts. I understand they can't match the blue color up from batch to batch. And yes, you do sear with the dome closed. In fact as far as I know, you do everything possible with the dome closed. Open it only to flip or take the goodies off. Have fun.

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    gatortail, I just love burning off my BGE. It starts by purchasing 2 filets about 1 and 1/2 inch, seasoning, and of course high searing of the steaks. Just did that tonight. 2 and 1/2 minutes searing on each side then 6 minutes with the vents closed. About those tics, my brother-in-law was last years UGA booster pres in Jacksonville. He has a lot but would absolutely kill me if I mentioned it to him that a Gator fan wanted some.
    I just confirmed my plans for the week and it looks good.[p]CWM