Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Top gasket replacement

Bamabob
Bamabob Posts: 246
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
MAN! When BGE temp hits 500 it don't take long to go on to 5000 does it? I only walked away for 6 seconds.Anyhow I fried my felt gasket,at least it didn't stick like some of my fellow EGGers did.Seems like not too long ago someone mentioned a gasket made by Rutland out of silicone.I checked the archives but didn't come up with anything.if anyone knows what I'm talking about id'e appreciate the info. Thanks( also melted the plastic lens cover on dome thermostat) Bob

Comments

• Billy
    Billy Posts: 68
    Bamabob,
    Rutland makes a fiberglass stove gasket that will outlast the felt by many times. Just one look at it and you can tell how much better it is. It comes in round or flat. Get the flat. It is 5/8" wide and will fit the large egg with about 4" left over. Menards carries it. It is thicker than the felt and can be used on just one side. Best of all, it doesnt burn like the felt. It should last for many years. I have had it on my BGE for 3 months with almost daily use and it is just like the first day I put it on.Billy

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Billy, I'm curious. If you place it only on one side doyou place it on th ebase or the dome. There seem to be some advantages to only having it on the dome. Is that what you do?

• Billy,[p]Do you have a part number of some kind? It sounds like something I'd like to try. I've gone through 3 gaskets and would like something better. [p]Bill

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Bamabob,[p]Goodluck with the gasket. 2yrs and still going with mine but I see the need to replace it is coming. [p]One trick to remember, so the Egg doesn't do another Super Nova, is to place the slide/daisy top on the egg - wide open when you start it up if you're apt to be gone for some time. The bottom wide open and the slide/daisy wide open (not the dasiy top but the slide/dasiy top) will only allow a max of around 650 deg. It's not enough of a retriction at starting temps so it won't slow down the starting at all. [p]Tim
  • Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Billy,
    Thanks for info. What type store is Menards? I don't recall ever seeing that name here in LA (lower ala.).I went to Rutlands web site but all I saw listed was some round gasket material,if you hear of any other store that carries it give a yell. Thanks again to all repliers. Bob

• Billy
    Bamabob,
    Menards is a large home center/lumber store. You can e-mail Rutland at "sales@rutland.com" to see where you can get it in your area. Item # 95-6.Billy

• Billy
    Grill With Bill,
    It is Rutland item #95-6. It should be available at any fireplace/wood stove place, or any large lumber/home center. When you see it compared to the BGE felt gasket, you will be convinced.Billy

• Billy
    Wise One,
    I have it on both sides of my Egg. After I installed mine I read a post by C~W that said because of the thickness it is only really needed on one side. I dont remember if he said which side. Maybe he will see this post and let you know, but putting it on both sides has worked well for me. The stuff just doesn't burn. Once you see the difference between the felt gasket and the fiberglass you will know what I mean.Billy