Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another pulled pork question?

Franco
Franco Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My 7lb. butt has been on about 17 to 18 hours and the polder is claiming the internal heat is 176. It's been that for a while. Should I pull it out and re-insert it or just leave it alone and wait it out? The dome temp has been running 225 to 300 for quite a while.[p]Other than that, it's looking (a nice dark brown) and smelling very good![p]As always your help is appreciated. Frank

Comments

• Franco,
    I would reinsert the polder. While you are at it try the fork test. See if you can pick it up. (Put the fork at about a 45 degree angle.) If you can't it is probably done.
    Fireball

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Franco,[p]Egg temp control comes with use. Your butt should be close to done. Reach in and give it a lift in the center. If it wants to fall apart, it is done. Move the probe around to sample temps throughout the meat. Hold the dome temp closer to 300F to finish.[p]You are real close to the end, just waiting to make the meat pullable rather than slicable.[p]Spin

• Spin
    Fireball,[p]I do think that we both should be priviledged to a taste.[p]Spin

• Spin, and Fireball you really are due much more than a taste. It was great and the last minute coaching proved to produce a great product.[p]Thanks to you, my family thinks I know what I'm doing and right now they are debating whether the pulled pork is their new favorite off the BGE (it's between it and the pizza).[p]Again thanks for all the direction and experience. Your taste should be arriving by UPS shortly.[p]Frank[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Franco,[p]Unless your ready to go to bed or do something - just wait. Going too long by a short period is not going to even be noticable so I would reinsert the thermometer and keep going to 195-200. Its real hard to goof it up at this point. The temp will "stall" for some time so just work with it.[p]Tim[p]
  • Spin
    Franco,[p]Congratulations. The second cook is much easier (and smoother) than the first (and so on).[p]Pulled pork or pizza... The BGE is capable of producing the best of many cooks.[p]Spin

• Spin,
    I hope Franco sends it "Overnight" by UPS. Franco, Spin is correct each one is easier. Pulled Pork is our favorite from the egg.
    Fireball