Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime rib

Options
egghead2004
egghead2004 Posts: 430
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone tried cooking Prime rib at 250 dome and have good results?
A so called chef....old friend from high school days....swears he cooks all his prime rib at 250 after the sear and it always comes out juicy and tender. I've alwys seared, the cooked at 350, and that usualy works great.[p]thoughts?

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Egghead2004,
    I usually cook at 250 and then sear at the end. Pull it at about 125 degrees and then bring the Egg up to about 700 degrees and sear it on all the sides until the meat reaches about 145 degrees.[p]ChristmasPrimeRib3.jpg[p]The last one turned out pretty good.

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Egghead2004,[p]I've been reorganizing my recipes this morning and seen your post, I posted this last november I think, it is really very good!!! It was so good that I plan on doing this for Easter.[p]here is the recap[p][p]Well, earlier this year, I did my first standing rib roast. I'll admit, I kept it simple and it turned out great. It's any easy cut to cook and can be cooked a lot of different ways and turn out just fine.[p]Well yesterday it was time to do another. This time, instead of just rubbing on some herbs and following a bunch of great recipes that I have picked up here, I read through all the recipes that I’ve collected. Trying to pick from each one the more common spices, tips, and techniques. I really tried to pull from these recipes, what I hoped would make an excellent prime rib. I probably shouldn't have experimented on Christmas Eve dinner. But I took that chance. What I put together is not my recipe but a combination of recipes that others have posted here.[p]1 8# Standing Rib Roast[p]Two hours before cooking remove from refrigerator and place in a large casserole dish.[p]Cover with a combination of yellow mustard and olive oil.[p]In a small bowl, mix in:
    1 tsp Dried Basil
    1 tsp Dried Oregano
    1 tsp Dried Parsley
    1 tsp Dried Rosemary
    1 tsp Dried Thyme
    1 tsp Dried Marjoram
    1 TBS Course ground Black pepper[p]You can use fresh ingredients, but in this recipe I don’t know if it would improve it much. I think the conversion would be about 2 TBS fresh for each tsp dry.[p]Sprinkle the dried herbs on all sides of the roast and rub it in real well. The mustard/olive oil holds the herbs on the roast, set the roast aside on a cutting board.[p]Now, in the casserole dish, mix in:
    1 egg white
    1 tbs flour
    1 cup kosher salt
    1 TBS water

This will create a salt crust to place on the roast that will draw all the flavors of the herbs into the roast. So if there are any other herbs or spices make sure you add them when you first season the roast.[p]Now when I added the salt crust paste to the roast, the first thing I thought was, wash it off and go back to what I know works. But, some of these cooking tips came from great contributors to the forum and I had to put a little faith in them.[p]One hour after the roast was first pulled from the fridge, light the BGE, get a clean burning fire, target temp is 250. Then add whatever wood chips or chunks you prefer, just before putting the roast on the cooker.[p]
    IMG_1464_1.jpg[p]This is what the roast will look like, I did an indirect setup with a drip pan, and turns out I really didn’t need the drip pan, very little ended up in it. As you can see, from the pic, why I thought about washing it off and starting over. I really wasn’t sure of all that salt. Go ahead and insert a meat thermometer before closing the dome and plan on not looking for at least three hours. If you have a remote thermometer, it will really come in handy now. You want the rib roast to get to 125 degrees. It will take about 3½ hrs for an 8 lbs roast at these temps.[p]Once you get to 125 remove the roast. With the salt crust, it won’t look much different coming out of the egg than when you first put it in. No worries. The salt crust will have created somewhat of a shell that is easily removed with a spoon. After you pull the roast from the cooker, remove the indirect set up. You will need to seer the roast after the salt crust is removed. When removing the salt crust and discard. Make sure to do a fairly good job, particularly the ends of the roast. This just takes a few minutes with a spoon.[p]The egg should be up to 500-600 very quickly, so go ahead and sear all sides and ends, about two minutes per side. I need to caution you on this. Have a meat fork that can lift the roast and wear welding gloves. Your shirt should be long sleeved and not flammable (I ruined a perfectly good shirt last night), and be careful when you open the dome. We are talking serious flashback potential with the grease coming of that roast.[p]Ok, pull the roast, let it rest for just a few minutes, the temp should have risen to 135-140. Remove the bone and slice into one of the most evenly cooked, flavorful medium rare prime ribs roasts.[p]Here is a pic if that helps get you interested.[p]IMG_1467_1.jpg[p]Scott[p][p]

• ccrider.disabled
    Options
    Scott,
    I want some of that! Looks great.
    Charlie

• ccrider.disabled
    Options
    Bobby-Q, And that!

• ccrider,You got to stop looking at the pictures.

• ccrider.disabled
    Options
    Poopasam, Yeah. It makes me drool.
    Call me so I can get your email address.
    Charlie

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Egghead2004,[p]250 dome sorta translates into about 200-215 at the grate. I've done it at 250 grate level and they come out absolutely perfect but it sure does seem low as a dome temperature.
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    roesmarysmokedribroast-1.jpg
    <p />Egghead2004,[p]I do the "Good Eats" method. After 2 to 5 days of dry aging, I set the roast out for about a hour before putting it on. I cook them at 200 to 250 indirect with a plate setter legs up and grid on top. The roast gets a basic rub of salt, black pepper, thyme and dry mustard. Sometimes, I will add fresh rosemary sprigs for smoke. Follow the below link for pics of
    [ul][li]one such cook[/ul]
  • egghead2004
    Options
    to all of you, 250 is the wat to go. I've cooked 20 of these over the past two years. tonight I cooked it at 230-245 grid until 125 internal, then seared. Best rib rost yet.