Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spun up Chicken cook

Options
BabyBoomBBQ
BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
tspinchicken.jpg
<p />Egged a 4.5 lb free-range chicken for lunch yesterday. I rubbed it with Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin Thursday morning but didn’t cook it until Friday due to accepting a dinner invite. (Turned out to be a big mistake, bland food and very inappropriate remarks from the host to the GF.) My setup was inverted plate setter with grid on top. I used my Weber “beer can” roaster with a Coors Beer someone left in the refrigerator and about a teaspoon of rub. Added a piece of wood that was sitting out from my last cook. Turned out to be Hickory. [p]Cooked at a grid temperature of 250-260 (290-300 dome) until the breast was about 150, then bumped up the temperature about 20 degrees for 30 minutes to crisp up the skin a little. Got distracted so the breast was 175+ when I pulled it off. I normally cook to a breast temp of 160 – 165. Total cook time was about two hours. Result was a great tasting, moist bird. [p]Next time, I’m going to use apple or alder wood for smoke.