Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stackin' Those Ribs

Options
JimW
JimW Posts: 450
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A week ago, I was planning to do NB's Ginger Mahogany ribs using St Louis style pork ribs for my inlaws coming down for a week at the beach to celebrate Grandma's 80th. I had three slabs cut in half and just in the marinade when one of my kids announced he was coming to town too. I needed another slab of ribs. I've seen Cat do 6 slabs of baby backs on their sides in a rib rack but they weren't cut in half. How was I going to get all those racks, now 8, into the Egg?[p]So I set a water-filled drip pan on 3 thin fire bricks on the bottom grate. I raised the BGE grate up with 3 more fire bricks around the edges of the bottom grate. I took the grill extender and set that on top of the second grate. Three of the racks went on the middle grate and 5 on the top. I had to pull the thermometer out about an inch and a half to accommodate the ribs. I rotated and turned the racks after 2 hours and shuffled the racks between the top and the middle grates. After another hour I started saucing them and doing the rotating, turning and shuffling every 30 minutes until done, about 4.5 hours or a little more into the cook. They were GREAT...falling off the bone and real juicy with a fine smoke ring.[p]It was a tight fit but the Egg turned them out just like it has when there was a lot more space to play with. So load your large up with bunches of stuff. The Egg can cut it.
JimW