Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cathy, need help with chrisp chicken skins.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cathy,[p]I am sorry I lost your directions on how to crisp up the skin on butterflied whole chickens. My intentions are as follows;[p]1. No salt solution, I don't like a lot of salt. Cover with rub.
2. Cook at 250-275 skin down, first, till 125 degrees on the polder placed in thigh. Drip pan under.
3. Turn chicken to bone side down and cook till 170 in the thigh.
4. Remove drip pan and turn up temp to 375-400 turn back to skin side down and cook until crisp and temperature is 180 degrees in the thigh.[p]I don't remember if you made the skin crisp in the beginning or at the end of the cooking. Also please check my temperatures.[p]Thanks,[p]N.W.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    N.W.,[p]Cat will check here soon, but the #4 seems a bit high in heat but it would work and would certainly brown the skin.[p]Tim
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    N.W.,[p]I start the chicken at a dome temp of 200 and run it up to 300 over 20 minutes or so - and I don't use a drip pan although if you do that shouldn't affect your timing or temps at all. And I start skin side up (less risk of sticking this way) for about an hour, then flip skin side toward the fire for another half hour or so, depending on how big the bird is. I've never checked the temp before turning; just peek to see if the bone side is nicely browned.[p]I don't cook past 175 in the thigh; the meat temp will rise a few degrees after you take the bird off the fire.[p]If you do the whole cook at 300 dome it will be done a bit faster.[p]Hope that helps -[p]Cathy
  • Thanks all for the help, will change my system and start three chickens tomorrow.[p]N.W.