Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Good Long Smoke

Options
Anthony Up North
Anthony Up North Posts: 205
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried wood chips soaked and they seem to peter out in 10-15 minutes. I have found a good way to create smoke for a longer time. I like maple and oak. We have plenty growing in any area here. [p]I cut branches that are about 2 inches thick. Cut them into lenghs of about three inches. Split them in half. Then when I'm readay I put a bunch in a coffee can full of water, where they set for a while. When the fire is nice and hot and just before I put the meat on, I slip to or three on the fire. I leave the others in the water.[p]They smoke for about 30 minutes. I have one of these cheap weber grids that both side flip up. So if I want more smoke I flip one of the sides up, and put on another 2-3 strips for another half hour of smoke.[p]Works real well.[p]Anthony

Comments

• Anthony Up North,[p]I've done a simular thing using maple logs I use for the fireplace. Just slit, then cut on the tablesaw into 5" long peices. I don't soak them. Rather I put a few on right after I get the fire started and they seem to smoke the whole hour or two that I use the egg.