Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mesquite for a Butt?

Options
Jimbo
Jimbo Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone tried to use mesquite chunks when smoking a butt? I normally use mesquite for chicken or beef, but not usually on pork. I was in the mood for something different tomorrow but I don't want to try it if the results won't be good.[p]What say you?[p]Jimbo

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    08_19_0015_18_02.jpg
    <p />Jimbo, would you believe - I'll let you know tomorrow - I just put a 8.42lb butt on my medium BGE - for lack of anything else I used Mesquite chips - I like chips - I normally let the grill get to about 335 - cover the lump with a layer of chips - add the firebricks and drip pan and the smoke will be very thick for about 2 hours. In the picture I had to let the smoke clear for about 5-10 seconds so I could take the picture.

[ul][li]8.42lb Boston Butt[/ul]
  • Gfw
    Options
    Correction - I meant 225 degrees, not 335 degrees

• Jimbo
    Jimbo Posts: 44
    Options
    Gfw,[p]You figure about 2.5 hours per lb at 225*? I am doing 2 6.5 pounders. What does the mesquite smoke smell with the pork cooking in it? Mesquite can be bitter smelling but I usually don't cook that long over it. I am using chunks this time, so I imagine that they will be around a while. [p]Jimbo
  • Gfw
    Options
    Jimbo, actually I don't try to estimate the time based on the temp - I just know that every other time (single butts, double butts, etc) I've done a butt, I was looking at the 18-20 hour range - I won't even put the polder in until around noon tomorrow - I could probably raise the temp and cook faster, but I'm not in a hurry and I love the results that I have had EVERY time. [p]Check out the link - three or four previous butt cooks including my first in October of last year!
    [ul][li]Previous Butts[/ul]