Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To rub or not to rub, that is the question.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to do a prime rib tonight and I notice some users use store bought rubs for beef. I only have a Memphis rub and wonder if that is necessary. I usually do a prime rib in the oven with only garlic, salt and pepper with alittle olive oil to hold it on.[p]Suggestions would be appreciated as I am new to this type of cooking, in fact my first try will be with the prime rib. Also, should I use direct heat or a drip pan.[p]N.W.

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    N.W.,[p]Check down the forum a bit, mid to late last week? Time gets away from me sometimes. There was a pretty good discussion on how to cook prime rib. I would highly recommend Doc Chickens recipe, its found in the submitted section. There are other suggestions as well. Good luck, its a great hunk o meat no matter how you cook it.[p]Troy
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    sprinter,[p]Only Tuesday of THIS week? Man, where did the time go?[p]Troy
    [ul][li]Prime Rib Discussion[/ul]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    N.W.,[p]We have tried many different additions to the meat (enjoyed them all) and still prefer exactly what you propose. We don't even use smoking wood. Letting this fine cut of beef stand on its own is nice and a quite rewarding cook.[p]You will find there are many cooking methods. I cook direct at 250F (it does contain fat), flipping the roast around every 30-45 minutes to expose all sides to the fire, ending rib side down. Cook to 135F internal figuring 45 minutes/pound. Remove and allow a minimum 15 minute rest before serving (the internal will rise 4-5 degrees during the rest).[p]Spin

• Thanks you all for the help, I have the roast on now and will slow it down alittle.[p]N.W.