Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vertical Roasted Turkey

Options
SuperDave
SuperDave Posts: 319
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm getting ready to cook a 13 pound turkey on a vertical roaster but have never used one before. The turkey has been brining for about 30 hours and I don't have a clue how long it usually takes to cook in the egg on a vertical roaster. Anyone with any ball park estimates and tips for this? I'd appreciate it![p]Merry Christmas

Comments

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    SuperDave,
    I cook & have cooked all fowl on Spanek vertical units for years. Have always had excellent results.[p]Make sure the top of he unit is unobstructed as it flows hot air up through the center. Thus the product cooks from the outside & inside.[p]I always cook indirect with the platesetter inverted.[p]I smoke @ 225 to 250 until the polder reads 180 in the breast. I have a second polder @ grid level. I cook by this temp.[p]Once an hour I open the lid & have 1 pint bottle filled with olive oil & anther with apple juice. I spritz with both.[p]It usually takes 4 to 5 hours. [p]BTW our choice is capons vs other types of chicken.[p]After internal temp is reached, I remove the legs & wrap the body in film 905, place in a styrofoam container to hold. I put the thighs on the grill & cook til they are done.[p]Let us know how your experience turned out.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    SuperDave,
    Use the same times you would use in your oven. Turkey 350º indirect (drip pan) with 20 min per pd as a rule of thumb with 160-170º for the breast meat or 180º for the thigh. MAke sure when you move the bird from the Egg to the kitchen to be careful and place it on a deep plate to catch the juices that just might pour out. Great gravy base. Good luck. And Happy . . .

• SuperDave
    Options
    Nessmuk,[p]Thanks for the replies guys.... I'll heed your advice. That's prett much what I thought, but wanted to hear the voice of experience.
    My first time with the Spanek roaster. I've done beer can chicken but this is different.
    I want a crispy skin and all the bird to be done, it's for the in laws Christmas Dinner so the pressure's on! lol...
    Thanks again and Merry Christmas....
    Hope yours is the best. :-)