Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Feast Dilemma

Options
ThrRoff
ThrRoff Posts: 169
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I plan, or maybe had planned, to roast a small turkey on my small BGE while my large is occupied with other goodies. The turkey will not fit on a vertical roast rack in the small, but it will fit on its side. I have a disposable aluminum pan that will just fit, but I don’t have a rack small enough. At this point I don’t have the time to search for and buy a small rack, so I need some options. Here is what I am considering:[p]Roast the turkey right on the cooking grate realizing the down side will be black, but no one usually eats it anyway and I can hide it.[p]Place some celery stalks or other hard vegetables under the turkey in the pan and roast away.[p]Or other ideas creative and knowledgeable folks on this board may have.[p]

Comments

• Thrroff,
    I have cooked roasts this way in the oven and it works fine. I don't know about on the egg, but when I did it in the oven (pre egg days) I pureed the veggies after the cook and tossed the puree in the gravy. That was purdy tasty gravy. Maybe use two disposible pans to havea bit of an air gap?[p]Ed

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Thrroff,
    How about putting some short wooden spoon type utensils in a crisscross fashion and lay the turkey on that inside your pan? Should work.
    Or maybe just use whatever silverware you got to build a rack of some sorts?
    HTH
    ChefRD