Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Roast Question

Options
Newbie Posts: 33
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone know which is best to buy? A Prime Rib Roast, Rib Roast or a Rib-Eye Roast? Are they all different or the same? If they are different which would be best for a tender and tasty X-mas dinner?[p]Thank you,
A Newbie

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Newbie,
    A Prime Rib Roast, Rib Roast: same
    Rib-Eye Roast: small end no bones[p]I always like a roast with bones, but then you do pay for them. A rib-eye roast you dont.

• Seattle Todd
    Options
    Newbie,[p]I true Prime Rib Roast will be a standing rib roast that is graded USDA prime grade. Only the top few percent of all beef is prime. A rib roast or standing rib roast will likely be USDA choice.[p]The prime grade will have more finely marbled fat without as many large pieces of fat. IMO it tends to 'melt' more than non-prime.[p]On the west coast ribeye roasts are usually a rib roast with the outer 'shell' trimmed off and always boneless.[p]Most people that opt for the bone-in roasts do so because folks in the crowd like to gnaw on them.[p]One last bit of advice I'd give is that if you like your rib roasts rare to medium rare pull them at around 115 internal and let them rest for ~20 minutes before carving. I've seen recipes and cooking tips instruct to pull at 130 to 140 and those are going to be medium or beyond by the time they rest and continue cooking another 10 degrees or more.[p]Todd
  • T-47
    T-47 Posts: 84
    Options
    I found the below listed site very helpful when trying to learn about the different cuts of meat. It was a nice place to start.

http://www.foodsubs.com/Meats.html