Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket...Lessons learned on the forum!

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I started the fire a couple hours ago for a lo/slo overnight brisket...6.3 lbs. After the firestarter went out, and a small fire was going I stepped down the vents to cruise into the 200 range, and get stabilized before I put on the meat. Got sidetracked and came out to a 300 degree egg. [p]I remembered a post recently about adding new lump on top, then your meat...and that is one of the few things that brings the temp down. So I threw on my smoking wood (1 chunk of hickory and one chunk of cherry) then piled some new lump on top. [p]Put the brisket on (fresh out of the 30 hour marinade and coated with a healthy dose of rub). Sure enough, the temp has settled in on 225.
It really works to cool down a hot egg. Thanks again to the cult for providing accurate info![p]Plan on this 6.3 pounder to take 15 hours. Then eat some and slice the rest for a visit to the dehydrator.
The smoked peppers and onions are almost done dehydrating ( that $20 dehydrator at Target is a great deal).[p]Hope yall are havin' a great night.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Ya know, now that you mention this I remember the discussion and it may be what happened to my long cook brisket last weekend. I built the fire with the firebox filled completely. When the fire was going I filled it all the way to the top of the ring, then put on my indirect setup. I think inadvertently I choked the fire a bit and it stayed at 150 as opposed to going to 225 or so like it would have had I not covered the fire. Thanks for the post, I was wondering why the fire didnt stabilize like normal, this is the answer. You're right, it does cool a fire down nice and quick.[p]Troy