Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small butt, large butt...

BD
BD Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I have a 4.28 lb. boneless pork butt. I see Fritz just mentioned cooking an even smaller one for 5.5 hours. How long do you think this
butt I have will take to cook ? I have done a butt on a Weber, but this is the first one I am doing on an egg.
Thanks.

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    BD,[p]I have smoked one (similar size) on my medium egg. It took about 11 hours (200* dome temp over night). When internal temp was 185*, I kicked up dome temp for the last hour and a half to 250* after a wrapping the butt in foil. Cooked to an internal temp of 200*.[p]It was fabulous![p]Smokey

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    BD,
    I think Smokey's experience is about right. Like a brisket, every butt is different. I would go with 250 indirect , which I have been using as a minimum for lo/slo. Jerkey is the only thing I do that gets done at 200. [p]200 dome temp means that your cooking level is probably 180-190, which is pretty low.[p]Have a blast!!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BD
    BD Posts: 87
    Nature Boy,[p]OK, so if I go for the 250 dome temp, does that lower the 11 hour cooking time ?
    Thanks again. I guess I am doing this tomorrow since I don't want to eat at 10PM tonight and though seasoned, it's still in the refrigerator. But, that's OK, guests in town and we seem to be eating all the time, anyway.

• Nature Boy
    BD,
    It could easily take 11 hours at 250. Allow that anyway. You always have the warm cooler option if it is done early. I always try and err on the long side, as I have had several instances where we ate late, or, gasp, I wrapped in foil to finish more quickly. If it seems to go past 165 internal very quickly, you can always tap the temp down to 220 to prolong the plateau, and slow the cook a bit. I have done this, and the internal temp actually dropped back to 168, then slowly climbed toward 180. Perfect, as the longer the meat remains in that plateau temp range, the more collagen that gets broken down. [p]Once temp climbs back to 180 internal, kick it back up to 250-275 for the finish.
    I'll cook a brisket right along with you tomorrow.[p]Enjoy!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    BD,
    Seemed okay when I typed that last post. Then I read it.
    I said:
    I have done this, and the internal temp actually dropped back to 168, then slowly climbed toward 180.[p]
    I didn't mention the internal temp was at 170 when I dropped the egg temp.[p]Pays to read before posting!!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com