Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime rib advice/instructions

Options
Sandi
Sandi Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know I've made this request before but can't seem to find it in the archive. Could some of you eggsperts advise me on how to prepare a prime rib on humpty? Many thanks in advance! (This time I will print out the instructions)

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Sandi,
    Last Christmas I did one. 400 indirect in vrack over drip pan until internal was 135.
    Simple seasonings.[p]If you are looking in the archives, try mid December. There are a lot of prime rib posts around Christmas.[p]Good luck
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    S12_24_9918_34_02.jpg
    <p />Sandi, you didn't ention whether it was with/without a bone - the link is to the last bone-in prime rib. Good luck!

[ul][li]Prime Rib[/ul]
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Sandi, like GFW, I like bone in as I think it gives better flavor. Aside from flavor you want to cook it bone (rib) side down toward the heat. This protects the meat during the cook.
    My standing rib roast last Xmas was a dual process of high temperature searing and then transfered to the second BGE preheated to 325-350F.
    I seared the s-rib on the small bge and when I transfered it to the large after rotating (wear long gloves) to all sides for searing (takes about 4 minutes..at a minute per side at 700F in the small..wide open vents) it was a huge ball of flame..No kidding that baby was rockin hot. But as soon as I closed the dome on the large BGE, the fire went out and it was on its way to 135-140 internal. If I remember right, it took about 1.5 hours after the transfer.
    You can do this on a single unit also..IMHO.[p]Seasonings were simple, as I enjoy the ultra flavor of just the meat..so fresh ground black peppercorn and salt was the option used.
    After the cook I trimmed the meat from the bone (8 bone roast) and then sliced..Delicious any way you want go with one. Season as you like it, marinates or rubs.
    Cheers..C~W

• AndyR
    AndyR Posts: 130
    Options
    Sandi,[p]I haven't tried it in the egg yet but here's what I do. Rub the roast with olive oil and seasonings of your choice (salt, pepper, garlic, tyme, oregeno, etc). Heat a couple table spoons of vegetable oil or, preferably, peanut oil (higher smoke point) in a cast iron skillet over HIGH heat. Sear all sides top and bottom for a about a minute a side. When done, I'd typically put it in a 300F oven. I can only imagine what kind of magic the BGE will work. You can either keep it in the skillet or take it out. Pull off at 135F - 140F internal for rare and allow to rest 5-10 minutes while the rest of dinner comes together.
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Sandi,[p]The method I prefer is to cook direct at 250F, flipping every 30-45 minutes to expose all sides to the fire, and finishing bone side down. It is a longer cook (50 minutes/pound), but tends to melt some of the fat located in the cut. It develops a nice crust in the process.[p]Spin