Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt vs. Picnic Cooking Times

Options
wdan
wdan Posts: 261
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did my second-ever picnic shoulder this weekend since Sundown recommended it here some time ago. Haven't been able to find very often until I started visiting my local Wally Superworld...they have them everytime I stop in. I agree with Sundown on the difference in the cuts...I just love that "dark meat" in the picnic shoulder.[p]I noticed in drbbq's book he recommended picnics to be cooked only to 180 (his Cuban recipe that I also make my own variant of each New Year's Eve). I however, pulled mine off at 199 like I usually do with my butts. The first time I didn't notice, but this time the meat seemed just a wee tad on the dry side. My family loved it anyway and I "muddled through it somehow" too. But I'm curious about anybody else's experience, do you/should you take picnics off the BGE at lower temps than butts?

Comments

• Citizen Q
    Options
    WDAN,
    I think 190 minimum is the target temp for both. I did butts for my last comp and picnic for the one before and had to pull at 180 both times due to time constraints. A little tougher than I like and it showed in the scores. When time isn't a factor, I always wait til they hit at least 190. Big difference between 180 and 190, not so much between 190 and 200, except that it might be a bit drier. Sometimes a fatty piece can be really sloppy, so a little drier might be better.[p]Cheers,
    C~Q